Calling All Aussies

8 replies to this topic
  • Thermos O flask

Posted April 04, 2007 - 03:06 AM

Can someone tell me if BALLARDS valve shim's are as good as YAMAHA shim's?
Or are they made of the same metal as the genuine shim's and not cheap CHINA

• gregwr450f

Posted April 04, 2007 - 05:40 PM

I have no idea, but I can probably hook you up with some some genuine ones for way below RRP if that helps.

• fitzy

Posted April 05, 2007 - 02:19 AM

just go gen. Then you know what you have

• Aus_WR450FS

Posted April 05, 2007 - 08:07 PM

Don't mess around and just get genuine Honda ones. The CRF450 has the same size shims as the 9.48mm They are about $4.50 aud each and the sizes come in smaller increments (0.025mm not 0.05mm) allowing you get get closer to the tolerances you want.:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450high

Posted April 06, 2007 - 02:51 AM

why not ring ballards and ask.All the gear seems top notch.

• Thermos O flask

Posted April 06, 2007 - 04:16 AM

Thanks guys ,I like the HONDA shims idea:thumbsup: I went adjusting today..what a mission that was,when i measured the tolerances and got the shim size,worked out what shim to use and refitted everything.Rechecked the gap and no gap!! :bonk: I had to fit a new unused smaller shim than the one that was fitted.Remeasure the gap ,work out new shim size required.Then refit,at least it all measured out ok then.I think someone must have shaved the shims or can they wear?
I'll measure them at work .It would have been handy if i could have reused them.

• Thermos O flask

Posted April 07, 2007 - 03:48 AM

I went down to get shims today and honda dont stock them? so i ordered a handfull at $4.50,went over to bike biz yamaha and they ony sell hotcams shims at $8 a pop,genuine yamaha are $13 each.Go the honda ones,thanks again for that one.

• bens25au

Posted April 07, 2007 - 03:58 AM

I bought a Hotcams shim kit off ebay from the states which was pretty well priced. You get three 9.48mm OD shims in each size from 1.20mm to 3.50 in .05mm increments. I think its 120 shims for just under $115 delivered to your door.:bonk:
(there abouts)

• Thermos O flask

Posted April 09, 2007 - 04:00 AM

yeah I think i should have done that,by the time i got a few different shims i'd have spent the much anyway!:thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.