Am I asking too much for this bike?

19 replies to this topic
  • EricZ

Posted April 03, 2007 - 08:40 PM

I posted the following in the ThumperTalk for sale section. Some lookers but not so much as a question yet. Is it too much at $2500 negotiable?

2000 Yamaha WR400
Asking Price Condition Distance from you
$2,500.00 Great Enter Your Zip Code

Description: -Clean bike. Well maintained.

-New rear tire, oil and filter, coolant, spark plug, shock bushings. Nearly new chain and sprockets, rear wheel bearings, steering head bearings.

-All free mods, YZ timing. Very fast.

-Stock exhaust with quiet plug plus GYT-R insert and an FMF Power Core IV muffler with spark arrestor included for full stealth to full power options. Aluminum bark busters. Awesome woods machine.

-Price and delivery may be negotiable. Clean PA title in hand. PM for pics. Thanks for looking.
Location (City, State) Pittsburgh, PA
Will Ship? Maybe

• Bluemarlin04

Posted April 04, 2007 - 12:26 AM

I dont know, I paid 2500$ for a mint condition in Hawaii, bikes cost alot more here. The one I bought had new clutch and new topend. Maybe drop the price a little.

• specialk6r

Posted April 04, 2007 - 09:40 AM

I've been seeing 03 WR450s going for just over 3K, so I'd suspect most folks would rather throw down an extra $500ish to get a more pleasant bike with electric start.

Looking at what else a buyer could get for similar money is sometimes an insightful thing to consider.

• 96XR250R

Posted April 04, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Well, just to throw this out there....a friend of mine just bought a 99' for $1600, and its a pretty clean bike.

• Moto5

Posted April 04, 2007 - 12:12 PM

I think $2500 is slightly high but it all depends on how it looks.

• EricZ

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will take this into consideration. I'm not trying to start an arguement but where are these $1600 to $1900 clean bikes when I'm looking to buy? Most bikes that I've seen used under $2000 are partial to complete pieces of shit with rusted linkage bearings, tired engines, leaky seals, worn tires, cobbled together with mismatched bolts, no title, etc etc etc. Yeah you can get a bike for $1500 but then you spend another $400 to $700 plus a ton of time trying to get it back to where it should be. Just this past fall, I looked at a 2003 CRF450R that a guy bought new and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to in the way of maintenance. Not even an oil change. I think he cleaned the air filter but didn't bother to oil it afterward and this guy was stuck on $3500. I try to take decent care of my bikes and get nothing extra for it. Sorry, just a little pissed. I think I'm going to try to e-bay it.

• specialk6r

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:44 PM

I partially agree with you, but your average consumer isn't going to see the rusted linkages, tired engine, etc. They're going to be looking if it's shiny or not. Anyone that's not very motorcycle saavy is going to buy the neglected bike with new plastics over the well maintained bike with the usual bumps and bruises. So when they're comparing prices, the beat bike will look like the deal. Most people just don't know. Who do you think is creating these beaten bikes anyway? You guessed it: people. They're the worst.

• xrmarty

Posted April 04, 2007 - 09:17 PM

where are these $1600 to $1900 clean bikes when I'm looking to buy? Most bikes that I've seen used under $2000 are partial to complete pieces of shit with rusted linkage bearings, tired engines, leaky seals, worn tires, cobbled together with mismatched bolts, no title, etc etc etc.

Ha, Ha, I know what you mean. My guess is that many of these "super deals" happen when a buyer/seller know each other, or the 'friend of a friend" kind of a deal. When I check out the local papers, a $1600 bike is usually nothing but a worn out pile of sh*t that I would be embarassed to haul in the back of my truck. BTW $2500 obo sounds fair for a bike in good condtion, IMHO.

• ARin

Posted April 04, 2007 - 11:23 PM

i bought a mint 04 almost two years ago for 4000.

I think maybe closer to 2000 might sell the bike faster.

• EricZ

Posted April 05, 2007 - 09:08 AM

"i bought a mint 04 almost two years ago for 4000.

I think maybe closer to 2000 might sell the bike faster."

That is why I put negotiable. I was hoping someone would at least ask. I guess that most of the TT regulars already have bikes so they aren't really looking for a 2000 WR. Thanks for the replies though. I'm glad to see some other people think the same.

I took it to my local dealer to ask if I could put it on consignment. The sales manager came outside and looked at it briefly then commented how clean it was and how it would fit right in with his lineup because he has nothing used like it right now. Of course, then he offers to try and sell it for me and give me $1700 while they keep the rest. Book right now is between 2500 and 2600. No thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wingnut16

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:18 AM

Have you tried craigslist? I sold my 99 KTM 300 EXE for full book value in a week and a half. Not the mention the buyer drove 350 to 400 miles to pick it up!! My two cents, good luck and be patience...

wingnut16

• C-P

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:55 AM

Yeah, get it on your local Craigslist...I routinely scope it out and see some 1985 whatever turd out there for $1500. Your bike at $2500/bo will be 10X the bike for not a lot more $$...good luck!

• VFR000M

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:51 AM

Just my 2 cents...but it seems a little high. Try Craigslist...IT's FREE. Keep in mind that if you eBay, you're going to be charged around $100 if the bike sales. So immediatly, take that off the price of the bike. List the bike for $2200....your goal here is to stir interest...you don't have to negociate if you don't want to. Tell them you're firm on the price and see what they would buy it for....at least you'll get a call and see what people are offering?! :bonk: Good luck.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:11 PM

I just bought an 03 WR450F for $2,500 cash two months ago. The bike came with a few upgrades such as Twin Air Powerflo Intake System, FMF Powerbomb header and Q pipe, 2 brand new Kenda Millvilles rear tires, PowerNow carb venturi, Boyeson Powershot Accelerator Pump Cover, free mods, newer graphics and yz plastics, Fluidyne radiators, Work Connection Rad braces, and BRP upper and lower triple clamps. It was definitely a great deal but I could have bought a 2002 or younger YZ450F or CRF450R for between $2500-$3000. So I think your bike is over priced and should be listed for $2000-$2200.

• Jaycycle

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:19 PM

I am selling my 03 YZ450F for $2900.

• YamahaYZ426F

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:25 PM

I got my 2001 yz426f good condition all stock came with extra tire for $1500 hope that helps.

• C333

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:33 PM

According to NADA, average retail for your bike is $2535. If you dropped it maybe by a hundred or two you should be in the right range. Keep in mind that there are three categories Low retail, Average, and High, but High is never shown on their site and that's "Retail". I'd hold on out on it, you'll find a buyer.

• C-P

Posted April 07, 2007 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, I'd agree - some of you got some steals...01 YZ for $1500 and an 03 for $2,500 - that would be the exception vs the rule. This guy's '03 should be around $2,500 maybe a little less for someone that really wants the bike.

• ez__rider

Posted April 07, 2007 - 07:55 AM

Yeah, I'd agree - some of you got some steals...01 YZ for $1500 and an 03 for $2,500 - that would be the exception vs the rule. This guy's '03 should be around $2,500 maybe a little less for someone that really wants the bike.

I agree with that, but each "locale" is a bit different- check your craigslist!

from what I see around here, this bike should sell in the 2500 range. many late 90's 2 strokes around here on CL for 1700-2000 grand, so if someone wants a newer 4 stroke, then there you go.

I just bought my 03 WR450 with 160 miles for 3300. was going to be 35, but the rear subframe was bent so he came down for that. this was a good deal for a basically un-used stock bike around here... :bonk:

• 96XR250R

Posted April 09, 2007 - 12:33 PM

If you do not want to hear everyones input, then dont post a topic. The guy that my friend bought the 99 wr400 for $1600, just bought a second house, and didnt ride anymore, needed money for the second house.....so I guess he really care bout the extra $500 or so to sit on it even longer. Sometimes you luck out and come along people that sometimes just want to get rid of something. This bike did need the rear sprocket and chain, and it could even use a rear tire. It runs strong, shifts great, no piston slap, dosent smoke, and the clutch feels fine, no leaks (anywhere).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.