YZ or WR?

8 replies to this topic
  • micah600

Posted April 03, 2007 - 07:37 PM

I'm looking at both a YZ 426 and a WR 400 tommorrow. Given they are in the same cond, what's your opinion?

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 03, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Get the YZ, it's newer if it's a 426.

• Tough Guy

Posted April 03, 2007 - 09:03 PM

I'm looking at both a YZ 426 and a WR 400 tommorrow. Given they are in the same cond, what's your opinion?

If you like open country, or MX tracks then get the YZ. If you like trails/technical riding then get the WR.

Chris

• RutRipper

Posted April 03, 2007 - 09:11 PM

The title got me all excited...I thought you were getting a two stroke :naughty: :D :bonk: Anyway, I would get the 426 if I were you...but it depends on what type of riding you like. If you're doing strictly trails the WR probably wouldn't be a bad choice :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • westy250

Posted April 04, 2007 - 05:00 AM

Only problem with the 426 is starting the dam things :bonk: a mate of mine brought one about 3 months ago every time we go riding he spends more time trying to start it than riding the thing wasn't till after he brought it we found out it was a common problem only way it can be fixed is to put a 450 cam in with auto decomp I would find out if the 400 has the same starting problems the decide or go for something post 02....:naughty:

• dalebcrashin

Posted April 04, 2007 - 10:10 AM

Westey , tell your buddy to study the manual on the starting technique. If your bike is properly tuned and jetted it will start on the first or second kick everytime. Any other way you try won't work other than the exact way it states in the book. The cam swap can wait till you need to do some topend work if you stick to that method. My fieinds are never waiting on me!

• essex426

Posted April 04, 2007 - 01:26 PM

426's are not normally hard to start.
You just need to know how,and make sure it's jetted right.

• gearcutter

Posted April 04, 2007 - 01:34 PM

Only problem with the 426 is starting the dam things :bonk: I would find out if the 400 has the same starting problems the decide or go for something post 02....:naughty:

Both of those bikes will require the same starting procedure. There is really nothing to it though. Mine goes first kick every time.

• Derek00

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:32 PM

I own an '03 Yz 450 and an "04 wr450. I love the weight and snap of the YZ but in the southern AZ desert I miss the fifth gear on the flat outs (don't know when they went to the 4 spd on the yz). I'm a trail rider, no racing. I will probably end up selling the YZ with kind of riding normally do. I guess it boils down to what kind of riding you do. If you run @ higher speeds I'd go with the wr. Can't beat the yz in the tight stuff though (it flies better too!)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.