Wheels and hubs

9 replies to this topic
  • 82XR250RMAN

Posted April 03, 2007 - 04:51 PM

hey guys, i was looking at some pictures of some sweet bikes, and i was wondering if the wheels and hubs are usually anodized, or if they are powdercoated, because i wouldnt think either would last long on a wheel or a hub out on the mx track.

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Rims and hubs are generally anodized, if they are any color at all. In fact, "natural" rims are frequently anodized silver to give them a longer lasting luster. It isn't any more scratch or chip resistant than any other color, but you can't see it when it happens.

• KJ790

Posted April 03, 2007 - 06:29 PM

Yup, most are anodized, some people powdercoat the rims and hubs to change the color. I don't think that hubs take that much abuse, so powdercoating, or even painting if done right can work on hubs. I've heard that powdercoating works on rims alright, but anodizing is the way to do it right.

• 642MX

Posted April 03, 2007 - 06:41 PM

Anodizing is best. Take a look at mine. Its a 2002 model that was purchased in December of 01. I put the rims on just a couple weeks after I bought the bike. This picture was taken a couple weeks ago.

IMO, they still look very good.

Posted Image

• TMAC25

Posted April 03, 2007 - 10:04 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NorCal

Posted April 03, 2007 - 10:15 PM

Colored rims look cool and all, but I really don't like them for trail riding. The blackness is just not holding up very well on my rims. I trail ride my bike pretty hard, so it must not be harder on the paint than just riding motocross. Also, I had to fix a flat tire out in the middle of the desert. The tire irons really scuffed up my rims up.:bonk:

They definitely look good, but in my opinion they are a waste of money if you do any serious trail riding. :naughty:

• witdogg

Posted April 03, 2007 - 10:15 PM

I have Pro Wheels with powder coated hubs. I don’t think powder coating the wheels would be a good idea. I think they would scratch way too easy, especially when changing tires. The hubs don’t take the abuse the wheels do so they stay looking good.

Posted Image

• 642MX

Posted April 04, 2007 - 05:59 AM

They definitely look good, but in my opinion they are a waste of money if you do any serious trail riding. :bonk:

You didn't notice my 3.9 gallon fuel tank? My bike spends most of its time in the woods.

Colored rims hold up well, but you have to take care of them too. I change my tires with standard tire irons, but I take my time to make sure my rims don't get scratched.

• NorCal

Posted April 04, 2007 - 01:36 PM

You didn't notice my 3.9 gallon fuel tank? My bike spends most of its time in the woods.

Colored rims hold up well, but you have to take care of them too. I change my tires with standard tire irons, but I take my time to make sure my rims don't get scratched.

I envy your 3.9 gal tank. The largest I can get is a 3.1.:bonk:

Just from this season alone, 65 hours of use, my black rims look terrible.

• 82XR250RMAN

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:21 AM

i kinda thought powdercoating would be stronger myself, because another one of my hobbies is paintballing, and the anodizing on my paintball guns seems to scratch really easily. Maybe it is a different process, different prep, or maybe just more coats?? dont know exactly how it all works.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.