For those who use a hydraulic brake light switch

11 replies to this topic
  • markturbo

Posted April 03, 2007 - 03:28 PM

I just installed a K&S switch but it seems a little slow to come when I step on the brake. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any brake fluid during the install, but I ran out of daylight so I guess I can try and bleed the brake tomorrow.

Just wondering if this is normal for this switch, or if it should activate the light at the slightest touch of the brake...which I think it should?

Thanks

• SXP

Posted April 03, 2007 - 03:36 PM

I just installed a K&S switch but it seems a little slow to come when I step on the brake. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any brake fluid during the install, but I ran out of daylight so I guess I can try and bleed the brake tomorrow.

Just wondering if this is normal for this switch, or if it should activate the light at the slightest touch of the brake...which I think it should?

Thanks

Have you tried riding the bike and stopping with the rear brake only? Does it take more effort/travel of the brake pedal to stop than before you put the switch in? If so, you will have to bleed the line as air was probably introduced when you took the banjo bolt out. Once done, the switch should activate sooner as soon as sufficient pressure builds up.

• markturbo

Posted April 03, 2007 - 04:16 PM

I haven't rode the bike again yet, although it did feel a little soft pushing on the brake. It probably does have air in the system from taking the banjo bolt off. I'll bleed it tomorrow and update.

Thanks

• specialk6r

Posted April 03, 2007 - 05:50 PM

Yup, bleed em'. One good sized bubble (say, half the width of the line) is enough to make the brake almost useless.

• Birdy426

Posted April 03, 2007 - 10:28 PM

I have the same switch. It comes on with very little pedal travel. Bleed that bad boy!

• markturbo

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:04 PM

What a pain to bleed it! I eventually ended up unbolting the caliper and zip tying it up on the upper sub frame to get all the air out of it...but it worked, seems to be working better now.

Next project, installing a Bajadesigns keyed ignition I picked up today.:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted April 05, 2007 - 09:23 AM

forsure you got some air in there, a little bleeding will make it perfect 4sure

• Super_Dave_344

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:40 PM

i just bought the same switch for my 04 WR450 & im installing it along with my steel front line this weekend.Cant wait to get this SM finished & go for a ride.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted April 13, 2007 - 03:13 AM

where did you guys get the switch and what is it called exactly? I would like to install a brake light switch on my 06 wr 450.

• markturbo

Posted April 13, 2007 - 03:44 AM

I bought mine from here

http://www.gnarlypar...roducts_id=9004

That site is in Canadian dollars, they do have a US site as well.

• MountainMax

Posted April 13, 2007 - 07:31 AM

I bought mine Here https://www.bajadesi...2.aspx?content=

Posted Image

• AnimalDan

Posted April 13, 2007 - 12:43 PM

Or the Thumpertalk store has them for $2 less. Look under K&S hydraulic brake switch

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.