2007 YZ450 Oil Change Issue

9 replies to this topic
  • MX974

Posted April 03, 2007 - 02:03 PM

I recently purchased a new 2007 YZ450 and when I changed the oil, I could only get about half a quart to drain out. I checked the oil level before I drained it and it was OK. I followed the directions in the manual and it said it should hold a quart. I added back the same amount I got out and the level is OK

Is this a common issue with others out there? Is there a trick to get all the oil out? I tried leaning the bike both directions and also kicking it over a couple times.

Thanks,

Jay

• Racer24

Posted April 03, 2007 - 02:05 PM

idnt kno about the yamaha..but on my kxf.since the same oil is used for both the engine and tranny...there is a engine oil sump screw and a transmission sump screw..(drain plugs)...also make sure to unscrew the timing plugs and oil filler plug...someone here on TT said it allows all the oil to drain fully

• 250Thumpher

Posted April 03, 2007 - 02:16 PM

Are you leaning the bike to the correct side?

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2007 - 02:55 PM

Review the drain procedure in the manual carefully. The engine is a dry sump system, and has an oil tank built into the front of the crankcases. The left drain bolt drains the tank, the right drain bolt drains the crankcase.

When the engine has just been run within the last 15 minutes, 90% of the oil will be in the tank, and the rest will be in the oil filter well and the crankcase. If it has sat for a week, more than half of the oil may have migrated to the crankcase. If you don't drain both, you won't get it all out.

• gtxkid

Posted April 03, 2007 - 05:42 PM

The answer is:
You have to unscrew the dip stick.
I found out when i pulled the bolt out of the left side (shifter side) that oil did not drain, then i unscrewed the dip stick and then it shot out.
Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2007 - 07:12 PM

Ah, yes, there is that, too. :bonk:

• Racer24

Posted April 03, 2007 - 07:58 PM

remove filler cap, filter cover, oil tank drain bolt, crankcase oil bolt, and on the oil tank also remove the oil hose, and the oil strainer..

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2007 - 08:08 PM

...and on the tank also remove the oil hose, and the oil strainer..

How do you propose to do that on an '06/'07?

• Racer24

Posted April 03, 2007 - 09:40 PM

How do you propose to do that on an '06/'07?

in the service manual it says

remove:
1. oil tank plug
2. oil filler cap
3. drain bolt on the side
4. oil filter drain bolt
5. drain bolt on the bottom

my original post was for the yz250f :bonk: :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:24 AM

my original post was for the yz250f :bonk: :naughty:

Yeah, there's no external line, nor any feed strainer on the new 450.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.