04 YZ 450F Vibrates the crap out of hands

17 replies to this topic
  • battle

Posted April 03, 2007 - 01:55 PM

dont know if this is common on the 2004 YZ 450F but the vibrations just numb my hands. I can only do about 5 laps full throttle really racing it hard and then i got to stop. Is there anything i can do or buy to help. Dont know if a set of pro taper bars will help or hand grips something ideas? Maybe i just need to build up some strength. haha! I rode my buddys 06 and it was wonderful i could ride it all day maybe its the pro tapers.:bonk: :naughty: :D

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2007 - 02:49 PM

It should be fairly smooth (not like an '06, but not like a big two-stroke). Might be an idea to check the balancer timing if it's recently been apart.

Check your motor mounts and the swing arm bolt, too.

• almostinvincible119

Posted April 03, 2007 - 04:11 PM

If its nothing mechanical, I think I smell some RG3 Clamps commin your way. They work great.

• gtxkid

Posted April 03, 2007 - 05:55 PM

I used Pro taper
Thy have the urathane pads that come soft medium or hard.

• dwnlowx

Posted April 03, 2007 - 08:18 PM

this might help you it helped me alot
the stock bars are crap
i switched to a renthal twin wall and i love em

HANDLING PROBLEMS

Jarring => harsh ride in the handlebars on relatively small but sharp bumps
Decrease CD & RD so wheel comes up and goes down faster
Try a fork spring with a lower spring rate for a softer ride

Packing => harsh ride in handlebars on larger bumps
Increase CD in the forks to limit the compression
Decrease RD to help the wheel return more quickly
Try stiffer fork springs

Headshake => front wheel ocsillates side to side, especially in soft stuff
Move forks lower in triple clamps to increase rake and straight-line stability
Decrease RD in forks so wheel rolls over rather than ploughs into ground
Try stiffer front springs and softer rear spring to move center of gravity rearward

• battle

Posted April 04, 2007 - 09:42 AM

thanks guys ill look up some Renthal twin wall bars cuz i think the stock bars are crap...but oh yea GO YAMAHA!

• essex426

Posted April 04, 2007 - 10:44 AM

If its nothing mechanical, I think I smell some RG3 Clamps commin your way. They work great.

Yea i second that,they help a lot.
Also got renthal twin walls, and pro taper contours.
I like the pro tapers better,everyone one to their own opinion though.

• Darvo

Posted April 04, 2007 - 11:24 AM

I would stay away from the twin walls and go with a fat bar. Twin walls will make the vibration worse.

• dwnlowx

Posted April 04, 2007 - 12:19 PM

i think its in your forks

i had the same problem you just need to mess with the fork setings

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • battle

Posted April 04, 2007 - 12:43 PM

i think its in your forks

i had the same problem you just need to mess with the fork setings

stiffen them up then more compression ?

• TexN343

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:27 PM

I would stay away from the twin walls and go with a fat bar. Twin walls will make the vibration worse.

You are wrong. By having the twin walls it acts like a bar insert that also is for reducing vibration. Look for some bar inserts if you don't want to cash out for the twin walls. Also the twin walls are FAT. 1 1/8th. So you would need oversized mounts.

• IntenseRider

Posted April 04, 2007 - 07:14 PM

I used Pro taper
Thy have the urathane pads that come soft medium or hard.

gtx...did you notice a lot less vibration when you went to the ProTaper clamp? I'm trying to decide between those or an RG3 clamp.

• battle

Posted April 05, 2007 - 12:25 PM

so whats better twin bars or the pro tapers im six foot four what bends should i use. I like Reeds but Pastruma's bends are interesting too?

• dwnlowx

Posted April 05, 2007 - 01:41 PM

i would go with the expensive twin wall i think i have the cr bend im not sure but i think thats what it said on the box

• essex426

Posted April 06, 2007 - 01:40 AM

so whats better twin bars or the pro tapers im six foot four what bends should i use. I like Reeds but Pastruma's bends are interesting too?

I use pastrana FMX bend pro taper fat bars,i think they vibrate less than the twin walls.(On my bike anyway).
My son uses them on his ktm ,and prefers the pastrana bend bars as well.
6'2 and 6'3 tall.
Anyway i still think the rg3 top clamp does more to get rid of vibration than either set of bars.

• Dizman

Posted April 06, 2007 - 12:03 PM

I would recommend three changes - adjust your fork suspension settings, less compression and more rebound dampening. Put on some Pro Taper bars. I changed from some standard 7/8" Renthals with the cross bar to a set of Pro Tapers and they are much more flexible, a hugh difference. And lastly put on some soft compound grips. They'll wear out faster, but they'll help with the vibration.

• moto867

Posted April 06, 2007 - 03:56 PM

He said it's a vibration not a harsh fork. I'm with the guy that said check your balance shaft or engine mounts. If those are ok then maybe your crank is going bad.

• battle

Posted April 07, 2007 - 12:32 PM

Id like to thank everybody i purchased a set of Renthal Twin Walls with Moose clamps cant afford the RG3 clamps i hope that'll at least help my arms have been getting used to the armpump and vibrations so this switch should help me out alot. I checked the torque on the engine mounts and there all to speck...i just think the 04's vibrated alot more than the newer bikes.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.