Jsut picked up a 2006 xr650l, shifing problem

10 replies to this topic
  • 2000dr650

Posted April 03, 2007 - 11:31 AM

so im the proud new owner of a 1100 mile 2006 650l, its a great bike and after a few mods it'll be perfect. My only complaint, besides the BS associated with changin the oil, is that it really is difficult to shift, Ive adjusted the clutch cable as best as possible. I had the bike on a lift so i could seee the wheel spin..with and without the clutch engaged..what gives? Is it possible to have trashed the plates at 1100 miles??

• xr500_89

Posted April 03, 2007 - 02:06 PM

well does it do the same thing when the bike is warm i know with many barnette clutch kits when its cold it seems like the clutch isnt working but once the bike gets warmed up they start to work like a dream

• goblin127

Posted April 03, 2007 - 02:52 PM

With the right person behind the handlebars anything is posible. The oil on my L is easy to change,did Honda change something I am not aware of? Other than the bold new graffics, or was that last year.

• cleonard

Posted April 03, 2007 - 02:54 PM

Is the clutch dragging, or is the tranny hard to shift. They can be completely different issues. Usually fried clutches don't engage fully. Unfortunately a clutch can be killed in only minutes is severly abused.

If the issue is reallt the trany, try different kinds of oil. It can really make a huge difference.

• 2000dr650

Posted April 03, 2007 - 03:51 PM

Is the clutch dragging, or is the tranny hard to shift. They can be completely different issues. Usually fried clutches don't engage fully. Unfortunately a clutch can be killed in only minutes is severly abused.

If the issue is reallt the trany, try different kinds of oil. It can really make a huge difference.

Thanks for all the replies....:bonk:

to be more specific..it appears that the clutch is not fully engaging..Id say about 90%..the symptoms are;

Difficultly shifting through the gears(warm or cold)
Difficulty shifting from first to neutral at a red light
Shifts fine from first to neutral when motor is off
I already changed the oil today thinking it may help..no good..

my guess is springs and plates..but 1100 miles..can you really fry them that quick???

side note** I did buy this from a dealer:banghead: And it looked NEW, though, when i took off all the body work to make some changes there was mud caked in areas that aren't so easy to get to, and it had a set of MT21's(i should of known), which the salesman told me were stock..."ya ok buddy....,where do I sign"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2000dr650

Posted April 03, 2007 - 04:30 PM

The oil on my L is easy to change,did Honda change something I am not aware of? Other than the bold new graffics, or was that last year.

this is my first bike with oil in the frame, multiple drain plugs, oil strainers and, "oil sight plugs". I wasnt expecting such a mess as My last bike was a dr650 and the drain plug is underneath..really primative..but efective and no mess, thats my gripe..over all..really..the honda is a better bike..alot more "solid" in my opinion.

• frankiewhipit

Posted April 03, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies....:bonk:

to be more specific..it appears that the clutch is not fully engaging..Id say about 90%..the symptoms are;

I think you mean fully disengaging, when you are stopped in gear does it feel like the bike wants to start rolling?
Where in NY are you located?

• wheelnut46

Posted April 03, 2007 - 07:27 PM

I don't have an "oil sight plug". I change mine every 800-1000 miles. I drain the oil in the front of the frame and drain the plug on the side. Cleaned the screen once. Takes about 10 minutes.:bonk:

• kfcz400

Posted April 03, 2007 - 09:04 PM

this is my first bike with oil in the frame, multiple drain plugs, oil strainers and, "oil sight plugs". I wasnt expecting such a mess as My last bike was a dr650 and the drain plug is underneath..really primative..but efective and no mess, thats my gripe..over all..really..the honda is a better bike..alot more "solid" in my opinion.

i am looking at 650's what is it about the suzuki 650 you didn't like? i am looking at the top3 jap bikes.....kc

• 2000dr650

Posted April 04, 2007 - 05:41 AM

i am looking at 650's what is it about the suzuki 650 you didn't like? i am looking at the top3 jap bikes.....kc

the DR650 is great, I dont really have any complaints about it. I couldnt tell you about the KLR, except its butt ugly. I switched to the XR to try it out..its a little nicer then the DR..the suspenson is tighter and the the engine seems a little have more tourque, but its really a tall bike..too tall for me..but i insalled a lowering link and that helped alot

• Denn10

Posted April 04, 2007 - 05:53 AM

Speaking of screens there are 2 on the 650ls one on the fitting in the down tube and another inside the motor that i saw in my manual SO how often have you guys dropped the side case to remove, inspect, and clean the one in the motor????

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.