best bars for my xr650r??

8 replies to this topic
  • markbec1

Posted April 02, 2007 - 06:09 PM

I am running just the stock bars right now but want to go with something that has a higher bend, also will I have to buy a new tripple clamp to run something like a Pro Tapper?

• Potts228

Posted April 02, 2007 - 06:35 PM

Get the Scotts upper triple clamp with the bar mounts for oversized bars and sub mount. You will want a stabilizer in the future. Then get Windham Pro Taper or CR High bars. The Windham bars have the same bend as the new CRF450 (but higher). The CR bend is nice but come a little more back if I remember correctly.

This is a very comfortable setup!

• Potts228

Posted April 02, 2007 - 06:41 PM

Get the Scotts upper triple clamp with the bar mounts for oversized bars and sub mount. You will want a stabilizer in the future. Then get Windham Pro Taper or CR High bars. The Windham bars have the same bend as the new CRF450 (but higher). The CR bend is nice but come a little more back if I remember correctly.

This is a very comfortable setup!

This might be a little hard to see but...

Posted Image

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 02, 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hey Potts, I gotts a question...

I run the pro tapers CR high bend on the stock clamps with the adapter for the bars, which raises it about an inch or so. Does having that scotts top triple clamp (like what you have) raise the bars any higher then what I already have? I'm standing at 6'2", and I feel a little cramped when I stand up. I would need something that moves the bars forward a little bit, and a little higher then what I already have. Does this scotts unit do that?

BTW, sweet ride man!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • markbec1

Posted April 03, 2007 - 02:30 AM

Nice ride! I have run the Scotts stabilizer on my 450x and xr400's, How much will the set up you recommend set me back minus the Stabilizer? Also why do you not recommend Pro Tapers? Thanks, Mark

• Potts228

Posted April 03, 2007 - 06:49 PM

Hey Potts, I gotts a question...

I run the pro tapers CR high bend on the stock clamps with the adapter for the bars, which raises it about an inch or so. Does having that scotts top triple clamp (like what you have) raise the bars any higher then what I already have? I'm standing at 6'2", and I feel a little cramped when I stand up. I would need something that moves the bars forward a little bit, and a little higher then what I already have. Does this scotts unit do that?

BTW, sweet ride man!

OK... I just did some rough measurments for you. The simple answer is the Scotts clamp with bar mounts will move your bars forward about 1" which will give you some more room. Since you have the adaptor clamps that already raise your bars 1" this is close to the height of the Scotts setup I have but I would say the Scotts setup is maybe 1/4" higher. So... 1/4" higher and 1" forward.

• rick2900

Posted April 03, 2007 - 06:51 PM

Pro Taper contour, Reed/Henry bend. Love em!

• Potts228

Posted April 03, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Nice ride! I have run the Scotts stabilizer on my 450x and xr400's, How much will the set up you recommend set me back minus the Stabilizer? Also why do you not recommend Pro Tapers? Thanks, Mark

Sorry if my post wasn't clear... I do recommend the Pro Tapers! I run the Windham bend but the CR High Bend is also a good choice.

I'm not sure on the cost but you can go to Scott's web site... they show this setup with bars at $569.00 but this isn't for the submount setup which is what I recommend.

• XRJunkie

Posted April 03, 2007 - 08:03 PM

I tend to run the ProTaper SE's (short for 7/8th's) as they're usually $60-70 or so and don't require buying a triple clamp. CR HI's work well for my 5'10" frame...

Only I'm not sure if you can use them with a dampner though. Hmmmmm...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.