stock chain

15 replies to this topic
  • wrider

Posted April 02, 2007 - 01:56 PM

I picked up my new '05 wr450, and am gearing it up for a trip next month. I have read where many people suggest replacing the chain with an o-ring type before it wears into the sporckets.

looking at the chain it says DID VM 520, and looks like an O-Ring chain. can anyone confirm this?

thanks

• trailordune

Posted April 02, 2007 - 03:43 PM

Yes, it is an o ring chain and a good one too.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 02, 2007 - 03:46 PM

Look close though and you will probably find that it does not yet have a master link, they tend to have one link with some pressed in pins that will have to be repalced with a master link should you need to remove it or it breaks... make sure to get a trail side chain breaker and DID Master Link before you venture too far off the beaten path:ride:

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted April 02, 2007 - 04:26 PM

Look close though and you will probably find that it does not yet have a master link, they tend to have one link with some pressed in pins that will have to be repalced with a master link should you need to remove it or it breaks... make sure to get a trail side chain breaker and DID Master Link before you venture too far off the beaten path:ride:

Yeah I noticed that on my 06 when I got it, and I've never seen anything like that before. My bikes always had master links that could be serviced w/ just a screw driver. Why does DID make it so complicated?:bonk:

Plus, I can't for the life of me, figure out which one it is!!!:naughty:

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 02, 2007 - 05:31 PM

Yeah I noticed that on my 06 when I got it, and I've never seen anything like that before. My bikes always had master links that could be serviced w/ just a screw driver. Why does DID make it so complicated?:bonk:

Plus, I can't for the life of me, figure out which one it is!!!:naughty:

It's usually pretty obvious by the pin heads, on my 07' I can definitely tell which one it is...

I think Yamaha orders them for production made up that way, it's cheaper and they probably install them during a process that allows them to put them on in one piece...

• trailordune

Posted April 02, 2007 - 07:23 PM

It's a riveted master link. You can also buy chains with this type of link. The snap on master link is the weakest part of a chain. If you need to remove the chain for replacement or service, just take off the swingarm and lube your bearings while you're in there. You'll be happy when it's done.

• Aus_WR450FS

Posted April 05, 2007 - 11:29 PM

Sorry to be picky, but it is actually a premium X ring chain, which has better specs than an O ring. :bonk:

http://www.didchain.com/specs.htm

• dazzabb

Posted April 06, 2007 - 01:43 AM

The stock chains are non-o ring which reduces friction alot.

Lift the rear wheel and spin it with a standard chain and it will come to rest far later than with an o or x-ring chain.

Having said that I replaced mine with a DID x-ring as the standard chain stretched too easliy for my liking.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:59 AM

The stock chains are non-o ring

Not here. O-ring chains are stock on the WR's.

• johunter666

Posted April 06, 2007 - 08:45 PM

I'd say the stock o-ring chain and sprocket set up is awesome! I've got close to 1500 miles on mine with no visible sprocket wear and I haven't had to adjust for stretch since 3-400 miles.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted April 07, 2007 - 10:24 AM

My chain is the standard o-ring masterlinkless chain that came stock on my 03 450. I have over 5200 miles on my bike with the stock chain and I've only had to adjust the chain 3 times. The sprockets both look good too! Thats not a cheap chain as far as I'm concerned.:bonk:
Jim

• tony1970

Posted April 07, 2007 - 04:32 PM

It's a riveted master link. You can also buy chains with this type of link. The snap on master link is the weakest part of a chain. If you need to remove the chain for replacement or service, just take off the swingarm and lube your bearings while you're in there. You'll be happy when it's done.

After 22 years of riding I have yet to see a properly installed clip type masterlink fail. If anyone here has had one fail on them please chime in.

• trailordune

Posted April 07, 2007 - 09:37 PM

After 22 years of riding I have yet to see a properly installed clip type masterlink fail. If anyone here has had one fail on them please chime in.

I've never had a problem either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I was pointing out the reason for the solid link chain and that is less failure, simple as that.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted April 08, 2007 - 08:21 AM

I picked up my new '05 wr450, and am gearing it up for a trip next month. I have read where many people suggest replacing the chain with an o-ring type before it wears into the sporckets.

looking at the chain it says DID VM 520, and looks like an O-Ring chain. can anyone confirm this?

thanks

It is an Oring chain.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted April 08, 2007 - 08:25 AM

Yeah I noticed that on my 06 when I got it, and I've never seen anything like that before. My bikes always had master links that could be serviced w/ just a screw driver. Why does DID make it so complicated?:thumbsup:

Plus, I can't for the life of me, figure out which one it is!!!:worthy:

Its for competition. Its called a continous chain. The master link will have slightly different colored pins. I ground mine off and replaced it with a master link. A RK-520SO or RK-520XSO master link fits the DID VM520 chain perfectly also.

• saqu

Posted April 18, 2007 - 12:44 AM

It is an Oring chain.

DID 520VM is X-ring chain, DID 520V is O-ring chain.
Riveted link is stronger than clip type:
http://www.didchain.com/install.htm
:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.