07 Starter Motor/ Decomp issues

13 replies to this topic
  • Looks450

Posted April 02, 2007 - 11:41 AM

When ever i stall or stop my bike at Top Dead Centre, the starter motor doesn't have enough buts to push it past TDC and it wont turn over. I have to put pressure on the kick starter to get the bike past TDC then the starter works fine.

Shouldn't the auto decomp take care of this and let it past TDC.

Or should the starter have enough balls to push past TDC.

Is anyone else with an 07 having this issue.

Looks

• SXP

Posted April 02, 2007 - 11:56 AM

When ever i stall or stop my bike at Top Dead Centre, the starter motor doesn't have enough buts to push it past TDC and it wont turn over. I have to put pressure on the kick starter to get the bike past TDC then the starter works fine.

Shouldn't the auto decomp take care of this and let it past TDC.

Or should the starter have enough balls to push past TDC.

Is anyone else with an 07 having this issue.

Looks

Mine does it. Hasn't this been an issue with all e-start WR's? However, I don't worry about it as it rarely happens.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 02, 2007 - 12:05 PM

Mine does it. Hasn't this been an issue with all e-start WR's? However, I don't worry about it as it rarely happens.

I noticed it with my 07 and my 04, usually it just take another push or two of the button.......

While were on the subject though... I love my WR, it's the 4th one I've had now and my 2nd e-start model. When is Yamaha going to make a bike that starts as fast as the eurotrash models? I am sick and tired of having to either kick or get blown off the line by Huskies and KTMs at the races with dead engine starts!!!!:bonk: :naughty: :D :bonk: :p

• WGP

Posted April 02, 2007 - 12:32 PM

My 05 works like a dream.....No holeshots but right there with the ktms:applause:

• warlock50

Posted April 02, 2007 - 01:47 PM

Looks mine does it but not much so i havnt worried about it.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 02, 2007 - 02:04 PM

My 05 works like a dream.....No holeshots but right there with the ktms:applause:

I expect holeshots! It always seems to be a 3 or 4 revolution wait before she fires, so I always kick but a lot of starts are dead engine GP or standing behind the bike with both hands on the fender and a quick reliable e-start would go along way in getting that hole shot....... I have buddy with a Husky and a rekluse and if you so much as look at the button you better be hanging on :bonk:

• whooptop

Posted April 02, 2007 - 11:56 PM

I push the button two or three times
which nudges it past tdc and away she goes :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hot Rod Todd

Posted April 03, 2007 - 06:09 AM

i have a '03 wr450 and for the first two years the starter worked great, every time. i used it always, but then funny little things started to happen! eventually i was replacing parts (and there not cheap). i now only use my starter as a re-starter, and always kick start when cold. my bike starts first kick 98%, hence, no need to the use thumb. but man, when i'm ride'n hard with my buds, and stall it out - it’s an awesome feeling to re-start with that magic button and get right back in to it! like honda - our bikes should be marketed as with re-starters, not starters!

• WGP

Posted April 03, 2007 - 06:31 AM

I expect holeshots! It always seems to be a 3 or 4 revolution wait before she fires, so I always kick but a lot of starts are dead engine GP or standing behind the bike with both hands on the fender and a quick reliable e-start would go along way in getting that hole shot....... I have buddy with a Husky and a rekluse and if you so much as look at the button you better be hanging on :bonk:

If you want an extra second on the dead engine starts, you can kick it and use the button at the same time, it works great but I find the e-start is good enough for 100 mile race:busted:

• Murray Dorward

Posted April 04, 2007 - 11:11 AM

I have the same problem with my '07 as well. It iratates the sh#t out of me, exspecially when you are on a steep hill climb and the bike has stalled and you cant get it to start. Then you try an use the kick start and it will not move even with the decomp. lever in. I agree Yamaha should really look at this problem as I have done +-1000km and this has happened about six times so far. You would expect this from an older bike but not from a new one.

Muz

• SXP

Posted April 04, 2007 - 12:18 PM

Then you try an use the kick start and it will not move even with the decomp. lever in.

SA models come with a decomp lever?

• whooptop

Posted April 04, 2007 - 10:14 PM

there is no decomp lever on the 07 oz bikes

• Looks450

Posted April 05, 2007 - 03:12 AM

I think muzz is talking about the hot start lever.

• SXP

Posted April 05, 2007 - 05:59 AM

I think muzz is talking about the hot start lever.

Kinda what I figured, and of course, that will have absolutely no effect on whether you can turn the motor over or not.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.