kx125 for trail riding

16 replies to this topic
  • georgeforeman

Posted April 02, 2007 - 10:04 AM

would a kx125 be good for trail riding? how can i mellow out the motor so it doesnt rev so high and i can get a bit more torque from? im 5'6 and 150 if that helps

• MXOldtimer

Posted April 02, 2007 - 10:09 AM

would a kx125 be good for trail riding? how can i mellow out the motor so it doesnt rev so high and i can get a bit more torque from? im 5'6 and 150 if that helps

Sure you can ride 125'rs on trail but they work best in the hands of an aggressive rider, you can't be lazy with'm. If your just gonna trail ride a KDX-200/220 would work best. (edit) better.

• georgeforeman

Posted April 02, 2007 - 10:16 AM

yeah. how about flywheel weight?

• georgeforeman

Posted April 02, 2007 - 07:25 PM

are the 97 kx125s anygood?

• new_rider3436

Posted April 03, 2007 - 03:29 PM

your about my same size i have a kx125 its fine how it is and it will give you good clutch skills since you have to keep your speed and rpm's up;)

• Hammer 4

Posted April 03, 2007 - 03:29 PM

11 oz. fww made a Noticeable difference on my 250, power came on much smoother.

yeah. how about flywheel weight?

• MrBlahh

Posted April 04, 2007 - 04:53 AM

I ride a 2003 kx125 in the woods

dont try 5 diamond trails with one, even with a heavy flywheel weight the kx125 has no bottom end and slick or steep hills will be a problem, the bike has 2 settings, on and off, and that does not work in the woods, you spin and stop on every steep hill

I think the only worse trail 125 is the cr, no bottom end on those

if you have it ported for bottom end that will help

• adam728

Posted April 04, 2007 - 09:11 AM

What kind if trails are you talking? If you are talking nasty single track, it's more of a challenge, but possible. If it's just big wide Jeep trails or something, no problem.

Some mods to help low end would be a pipe designed for low/mid, a lengthened headpipe, reeds, reed spacer, higher compression, different dome shape/squish band, ignition timing, porting, flywheel weight (doesn't add lowend, but makes it easier to lug without stalling), and of course, gearing!

I've ridden my 99 KX125 through some pretty difficult single track, it was stock besides a spark arrestor, hand guards, and a skid plate. Now, it was much more challenging than the KDX, but was still fun and I was able to make it up every washed out rocky hill. I even raced one scramble on it, where even with a few wide open washes my average lap speeds were under 20 mph.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ebeck

Posted April 04, 2007 - 09:21 AM

I would do the KDX for a trail bike. It is just so easy to ride trails with as it was designed from top to bottom with that in mind. A KX is an MX bike. it was designed to be wrapped out at the top of the RPM range. On or off they tend to be.

Different tool for a different purpose in my minds but anything is possible or doable. It depends on the effort involved. This is one of those do as I say not as I do things. It is true that the KDX is a bit old school in look and feel though so that weighs alot in peoples mind. The KX ergonomics are not for me either but I love the motor. Although I recomend the KDX as a trail bike I would not do it. I would look for other options such as a hybrid KX/KDX. Thart to is not for everybody.

No matter what you get you will adjust and love it so go with what you like not what is good for you and adjust. KX it is! :bonk:

• MrBlahh

Posted April 04, 2007 - 09:54 AM

having done 2 woods 125's, a 95 cr125 (nice motor for it) and a 03 kx125

i would just buy a ktm 200, well worth the money, powerband made for the woods, and suspension/steering/handling made for it

if you cant find a ktm 200, I would get a mx 250, not sure which has best bottom end on the older years, but get that one, and detune it, biggest flywheel weight you can buy, stuff up the muffler with a big long spark arrestor setup, that should make it manageable in the woods, and enough torque for those technical/muddy/rooty trails

I like the kx 250's because they are small frame, but pre 2003 I'm not really sure

top end power, and peak power are not worth anything on single track, you want low rpm power, and a smooth powerband otherwise you'll fight & spin when it's wet or steep, which for trail riding is the norm

• Hurricane

Posted April 04, 2007 - 10:07 AM

would a kx125 be good for trail riding?

If you're good with a clutch.

how can i mellow out the motor so it doesnt rev so high and i can get a bit more torque from?

Really you'll have better luck keeping it on the pipe. Maybe you should look into a 200 or 250, they can be lugged much easier.

im 5'6 and 150 if that helps

You are the ideal size for a 125, how much riding experience do you have?

• georgeforeman

Posted April 04, 2007 - 11:26 AM

I pretty good with the clutch.

Why is a 125 so hard to lug around?

i have about 4 years

• Hurricane

Posted April 04, 2007 - 02:09 PM

I pretty good with the clutch.

Why is a 125 so hard to lug around?

i have about 4 years

A 125 makes most of it's power in the upper rpm that's why they are not good at lugging.

• dirtrida010

Posted April 04, 2007 - 02:10 PM

Dude dont listen to these other people saying a 125 cant be ridden slow or lugged around. Because they CAN. I have a 2003 kx125 and it has tons of bottem and i ride mostly trails. The only thing i recomend that if you ride trails run a 51 back sprocket. Yes, 125's love the be ridden wide open but IMO they are such versatile bikes. Just make sure it is jetted spot on and everything runs correctly and you will be fine.

• kxracer987

Posted April 04, 2007 - 03:09 PM

Dude dont listen to these other people saying a 125 cant be ridden slow or lugged around. Because they CAN. I have a 2003 kx125 and it has tons of bottem and i ride mostly trails. The only thing i recomend that if you ride trails run a 51 back sprocket. Yes, 125's love the be ridden wide open but IMO they are such versatile bikes. Just make sure it is jetted spot on and everything runs correctly and you will be fine.

You've never ridden a 200 or 250 have you. Your idea of lugging and their idea of lugging may be very different. Just my opinion.:bonk:

• georgeforeman

Posted April 04, 2007 - 03:19 PM

yeah i know everything someone says is there opinion. ive rode a 200 they are like a 4 stroke. you can ride in 1st or 2nd forever without bogging

• georgeforeman

Posted April 04, 2007 - 03:19 PM

im just going to get a 2000 cr125

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2001 KX125 carb problems by Taylor227

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Easy question for KX250 gurus! by sandy450

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Precision Concepts 2003 KX 270 by smv ryder

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Kx 125 Build by NzJohny

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

kx 125 clutch basket help by mhogan1000

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.