eliminating the air box

6 replies to this topic
  • focallength

Posted April 02, 2007 - 09:59 AM

Just thought of this, so forgive me if its been done or is fairly common, although Ive never seen it. On a xr600r you have the carb and a intake tube leading to the airbox. Is it possible to completely remove the airbox and intake tube and put a airfilter directly onto the carb.? Basically eliminating the whole airbox and having an open air filter. I know you run into issues with keeping the filter clean, but I figure if you run a high quality filter and clean it after every ride you should have no problems running the bike just about everywhere (except extremely sandy conditions)

• xr500_89

Posted April 02, 2007 - 11:05 AM

its not a good idea either the airbox not only keeps filter life prolonged but also keeps other elements from creeping inside the motor i.e. water oil etc etc etc the airbos is there for a very specific reason no point in removing it to get 10% more airflow

• cleonard

Posted April 02, 2007 - 12:37 PM

It's the water that is the big problem. It will get sucked right into the engine and stop it. Other than that just expect to clean it every ride. If you are not in the dirt then the dirt issue is much less of a problem.

Getting the jetting right may be a real problem. The stock jetting relies on the slight pressure drop caused by the airbox. The jetting will need to be quite a bit richer. Usually the change is enough that the stock needle will not work. Each bike is different. Some are easy and some are almost impossible to get right. I have never tried it on a 600 so I don't know which it is.

I like my 600 for it's low end torque. I wouldn't want to mess that up to gain a little on the top end.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • focallength

Posted April 02, 2007 - 01:47 PM

I know it could present some problems, it was just something that popped in my head, I know a lot of cruisers use an open element filter. How else can you get meore air to the carb, the current box is super restrictive.

• xr500_89

Posted April 03, 2007 - 12:40 PM

only think that is safer than taking out the airbox is drilling some holes in the side of the airbox cover and putting some of those white bros filter plugs in it

• Chopp

Posted April 03, 2007 - 04:41 PM

I saw a pic of a tarded XR650R with a cone air filter mounted where the rubber boot meets the carb... if I can find it I will post a pic.

Edit... here is a link: http://www.odsc.on.c...ighlight=xr650r

• hrc1

Posted April 03, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Not only would you loose filter area, as a smaller filter would be required, you have an issue with turbulence and air getting sucked into the carb. Originally the air box was known as a "still" airbox. Think of it this way, driving a convertible at 60 mph or a regular car with the windows up. There is less air movement inside the regular car and therefore easier to draw air that is somewhat "still" into the carb. Your flow can actually go down with a open setup... Just food for thought.

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.