Zip Ty Oil Filter Cover

5 replies to this topic
  • torrmentor

Posted April 02, 2007 - 04:07 AM

Anybody running the new Zip Ty magnetic oil filter cover?? I just put one on my new '05 YZ450 and am excited about it.
Also, has anyone ever had problems accessing the oil screen? I am having terrible difficulty pulling it from the frame, can't get it loose & don't want to break anyhting. I am hoping the mag oil filter cover & mag drain bolt help in the time being. Oil is very clean after break-in, which is good.
Ideas, Grey?

• 250Thumpher

Posted April 02, 2007 - 05:35 AM

Anybody running the new Zip Ty magnetic oil filter cover?? I just put one on my new '05 YZ450 and am excited about it.
Also, has anyone ever had problems accessing the oil screen? I am having terrible difficulty pulling it from the frame, can't get it loose & don't want to break anyhting. I am hoping the mag oil filter cover & mag drain bolt help in the time being. Oil is very clean after break-in, which is good.
Ideas, Grey?

For the screen in the frame. You will need a hand to hold the bike in place, while you either:

A. Use a socket and a ratchet, with a pipe on the ratchet as an extension. You'll probably need a good 3' or so. If you still can't get it, more pipe (this is why I keep pipe in my house)
B. Use a ratchet with a BFH.

You can also use a impact as well, but you may break the deep socket.

• SXP

Posted April 02, 2007 - 06:23 AM

Anybody running the new Zip Ty magnetic oil filter cover??

I don't see any mention of this on the ZipTy web site. Could you post a link where you saw/ordered it from? How much? Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Also, has anyone ever had problems accessing the oil screen? I am having terrible difficulty pulling it from the frame, can't get it loose & don't want to break anyhting.

As mentioned, the frame screen is tough to get free. You'll need someone to help by holding the bike so you can focus on the wrench.

> Be certain you're turning it the right way. It's a normal right hand thread, but the fact that it's upside down throws people off sometimes.

> Use a six point socket or box end wrench only. Also, be certain that the socket is not worn. Older sockets tend to wear the most at the open end, and that makes them take on a "belled" shape. The end of the wrench is the most critical here, because of how thin the nut is. You most likely won't find a 6 point box that size, and they can be difficult to use anyway, but if at all possible, use a 6 point. If you must use a 12 point, a box end may actually be a better choice. Just be sure it fits, and is in good condition. Then crank it off.

Having said that, there is usually no reason to remove the screen. It should be inspected once during the first oil change or two on a brand new bike, or when you first get a used bike, or when there has been some major engine failure and/or engine work. Otherwise, don't bother.

• torrmentor

Posted April 03, 2007 - 04:29 AM

SXP-
It's not on the site, too new. I found it in the new TRANSWORLD MX on a modified YZ test. Cost is $119. Call the direct if interested.

• straightup rider

Posted April 04, 2007 - 03:51 PM

i have a zipty filter cover also and it works great and looks sweet too. i paid 129.oo and i ordered it direct 760 244 7028. you wouldnt believe all TFS that was stuck to the magnet. really cool

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.