?stripped left side drain bolt 2006 yz450f

11 replies to this topic
  • hessom1

Posted April 01, 2007 - 06:58 PM

i did the unthinkable and somehow stripped the left side drain hole . i am being told by yamaha service manager to just drain from right side . is he correct ?

Posted April 01, 2007 - 08:14 PM

if the left drain hole is stripped wouldnt the problem be putting the bolt back in? Get a heli-coil kit if this is the case

• hessom1

Posted April 01, 2007 - 08:17 PM

i got enough threads with a longer bolt to loctite it in

• hessom1

Posted April 01, 2007 - 08:24 PM

i did not want to chance getting shavings in motor . just wondering how much oil resides on that left side ?

• hessom1

Posted April 01, 2007 - 08:30 PM

i was afraid to get shavings in the motor with helicoil
. how much oil resides on that left side and can i get it out by just draining from the right side ?

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2007 - 08:30 PM

The service manager is clearly unfamiliar with the product. It's a dry sump system, and the two drain bolts are for two separate oil volumes; the crankcase and the oil storage reservoir. After the bike has been recently run, 90% or more of all the oil is in the "tank", and draining only the right side will drain almost nothing from the engine.

The best repair is a Time Sert. Heli-Coils work also, but the time Sert is a better choice for a drain plug.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hessom1

Posted April 02, 2007 - 01:54 AM

well i screwed up again then and took his advice . i loctited that bolt in with red loctite . what are my options now?

• 250Thumpher

Posted April 02, 2007 - 05:36 AM

well i screwed up again then and took his advice . i loctited that bolt in with red loctite . what are my options now?

Socket, ratchet and a BFH (or breaker bar)

You also may be able to soften it up with heat, but there is a gasket nearby.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 02, 2007 - 06:14 AM

geez that is some shitty advice.......
Follow Greys advice....for this - it is the best offered. I have also done this and it is a permanent fix....:bonk:

"The best repair is a Time Sert. Heli-Coils work also, but the time Sert is a better choice for a drain plug."

• Yamahafan

Posted April 02, 2007 - 06:25 AM

i did the unthinkable and somehow stripped the left side drain hole.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but how did you strip the threads? Did you use a ratchet wrench to tighten it? I want to know so I don't make the same mistake.

I usually tighten finger tighten 8, 10 and 12mm bolts and then finish them with a nutdriver (screwdriver), unless a specific torque is required.

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2007 - 08:24 AM

Red Loc-Tite is not like welding the bolt in place. You should be able to remove it fairly easily.

• DaveJ

Posted April 02, 2007 - 04:07 PM

The service manager is clearly unfamiliar with the product. It's a dry sump system, and the two drain bolts are for two separate oil volumes; the crankcase and the oil storage reservoir. After the bike has been recently run, 90% or more of all the oil is in the "tank", and draining only the right side will drain almost nothing from the engine.

The best repair is a Time Sert. Heli-Coils work also, but the time Sert is a better choice for a drain plug.

This is the best advice. Heli-coils are okay but they eventually work themselves loose. Timeserts are best.

Use grease on the drill and tap to capture all the savings, preventing them from entering the engine. Even still, all the oil is screened and filtered before it enters the engine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.