2001 yz426f pinging sounds HELP!!!

5 replies to this topic
  • YamahaYZ426F

Posted April 01, 2007 - 04:48 PM

I have a 2001 yz426f and my engine is pinging u can hear it coming from the piston and i think it might be the type of gas i am using wich is 95 but not sure could some one give me advice on what it could be and how to fix it the bike runs really good even with it pinging

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2007 - 05:13 PM

Exactly under what circumstances does it make this noise?

• YamahaYZ426F

Posted April 02, 2007 - 03:03 AM

when i start it u can hear but when i am riding it u can;t really hear it unless u going slow and when u are idling the bike u can hear it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dano426

Posted April 02, 2007 - 06:14 AM

Use a hose or pipe/tube and put it up to the motor. Find out where the noise if coming from. Noise from the head can be you valve clearance, or cam caps damaged/over tight. Noise from the lower case is a bearings from your crank or trany.

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2007 - 07:43 AM

when i start it u can hear but when i am riding it u can;t really hear it unless u going slow and when u are idling the bike u can hear it

That isn't pinging, it's just noise. A "ping", or "spark knock" from inadequate fuel octane, will happen only under a load, and almost always only at lower rpm.

YZF's are noisy engines when everything is right, but you could still have a problem. The first thing to do would be to compare it to another 426. After that, have it listened to by an experienced, trustworthy mechanic familiar with these engines. If it has an abnormal noise, isolating and identifying it is a job for a trained ear that can actually hear it happening.

Maybe you could also start spelling out "you" and throw in a couple of caps here and there. Since you probably aren't really lazy and stupid, there's no reason to give people the wrong impression. :bonk:

• YamahaYZ426F

Posted April 02, 2007 - 04:03 PM

thanks for the help :bonk: :naughty:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.