04 ticking still

9 replies to this topic
  • badneez

Posted April 01, 2007 - 03:55 PM

Ok, Ok, Ok...Ive had the shop check the valves on my lightly used 2004 YZ450, and then I checked them, and they are all within spec. Yet I still have a anoying ticking that isn't so subtle. It isn't like you can barely hear it, and it bothers me. When you are just idleing around it sounds like lifters in a car motor that lost its oil-kind of like a tappet sound. When I get on the throttle and hammer it for a while it goes away...mostly. HELP! If it isn't the valves, what else could it be? I really don't want to implode the engine or pay to have to dismantle the whole thing. Any other ideas? I ws wondering if a valve could be off but still be in spec...?:bonk:

• 642MX

Posted April 01, 2007 - 04:01 PM

When is the last time you replaced the cam chain?

• badneez

Posted April 01, 2007 - 04:30 PM

While I was checking the valves I took a look aat the chain and it looked pretty good. The tension was fine and no areas of wear. Do think that the chain can tick, or are you suspecting something else?

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2007 - 05:10 PM

A good healthy YZ450 is usually noisy as hell anyway. Check a couple of others before you have an anxiety attack.

• oldmxr

Posted April 02, 2007 - 04:37 PM

I have listened to a couple of yz250f's and they don't have the same noise as mine. When it was new it was way quieter, and the noise comes and goes. That doesn't make any sense to me, especially when the valves are all in spec.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxracer206

Posted April 03, 2007 - 04:32 AM

If you are riding around without your helmet on you can hear enough noise from the engine to worry you. They do seem to quiet down when you are on the gas, sounds normal to me. Check the oil filter for metal, if it is clean i would not worry.

• oldmxr

Posted April 03, 2007 - 10:02 AM

I change the oil pretty much after every 2 rides, and haven't seen any metal at all. All I can say is when I am warming it up you can hear what sounds like a valve rapping. As you rev the motor it gets faster so I know it is related to the motor itself. It really sounds like a car engine lifter that is running out of oil, but eventually goes away. I don't want to sound paranoid, but in my experience, (Facilities manager-maintenance) when somehting doesn't sound right it usually isn't. I just don't know where to look for other sources. It does run strong, starts OK-first few kicks usually, and hasn't had any problems. Just this noise is bothering me!:bonk: :naughty:

• flintlock28

Posted April 03, 2007 - 10:05 AM

Ok, Ok, Ok...Ive had the shop check the valves on my lightly used 2004 YZ450, and then I checked them, and they are all within spec. Yet I still have a anoying ticking that isn't so subtle. It isn't like you can barely hear it, and it bothers me. When you are just idleing around it sounds like lifters in a car motor that lost its oil-kind of like a tappet sound. When I get on the throttle and hammer it for a while it goes away...mostly. HELP! If it isn't the valves, what else could it be? I really don't want to implode the engine or pay to have to dismantle the whole thing. Any other ideas? I ws wondering if a valve could be off but still be in spec...?:bonk:

You haven't recently added a Skid or Glide plate have you??

these make every little noise seem much louder, due to sound bouncing off the plate......other's have noticed the same thing.

• blue9red9

Posted April 04, 2007 - 02:18 PM

I've had both an 03 and now an 06 yz450f. They are noisy. I got the 06 and I thought it was ready to go on me. Then I went back and fired up my 03 while I still had it, same noise. The noise is alarming until you compare it to another one and then you realize they all have it. My brother just got an 07... same noise brand new. Tapping / knocking noise. You really got to compare it to another yz450 to calm yourself down.

• oldmxr

Posted April 05, 2007 - 04:33 AM

The guys I ride with ride Honda's which are known for valve problems, but seem to be way quieter than the YZ. Next time I see a YZ450 I will compare the noise, but It doesn't sound right...its actually been getting louder over time since it was new.:bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.