7 replies to this topic
  • Thissell

Posted April 01, 2007 - 08:21 AM

I know this topic has been addressed but this is a bit of a different slant. I'm soliciting advice from people who know how to ride because I don't.

I'm new, have a street bike but it's a cruiser. Not yet comfortable going fast through rocks, stumps, trees and mud. The 2001 YZ426F I got doesn't like to go slow. I either bog down or it begins to get away from me. I'm constantly stalling or falling! On dirt, I'm fine. On grass, no problem, but on steeps, rocks, or debris, I'm in trouble.

I've read about this Rekluse z-clutch. It sounds nice, but I'm wondering if I should just get "seat time" first and get comfortable with such a powerful bike rather than get a mechanical "work-around."

Thoughts? Any other advice? I'm about 260 and 6 ft. I'm comfortable with the suspension, and it's only just a touch tall. The power is unbelievable. And, hey, no blue smoke or mixing fuel!!

Posted April 01, 2007 - 08:38 AM

i have one, they're well worth it. even for beginners. especially for your situation.

• 642MX

Posted April 01, 2007 - 03:27 PM

Rekluses benefit beginners and expert riders alike. The nastier the conditions the better they work, its almost like cheating.

• BergArabia

Posted April 06, 2007 - 01:51 AM

I think the recluse is a great idea, but I am going to be devils advocate and say that there are other things that you can do to help get the confidence to go at the speed that the bike needs to go or at least to stop from stalling.

1) Slipping the clutch. (you can go as slow as you like and be as controlled as you like with careful use of the clutch)
2) focus on the line you want to take. Look where you are going not at the obstacle. You can make it over or around.
3) keep your weight up front and stand up try to get confortable shifting your weight around and hold on with your heels not your knees.
4) use the throttle to get the front tire up to get over little obstacles..

I hope this helps. I am a long way from being an expert myself. A long way, and no doubt some of the better riders (like most of them) might have some better ideas. But these things basically are what I do as a 50 Y.O. who started riding only in the last 2 years..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:40 AM

Stick with seat time for now, rather than putting out a chunk o' change for the rekluse. I would add an 8 oz. or 10 oz. flywheel to help make the bike more manageable, less stall-prone, and it will actually hook up better with less wheel spin. I have an 04' yz450f that I got two years ago, after being away from riding for 16 years or so. When I first got the bike, I would stall often in the tight, steep, trails. After some seat more problems.
One "Poor man's" trick to avoid stalling, is to turn the idle up some, in the steep, or tight, slow areas. It definately will help until you get the flywheel weight. Don't go less than 8 oz., preferably 10 oz. will help a beginning rider.

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2007 - 08:15 AM

Go with just riding the bike for a while. If you'd like to do something to the bike that absolutely will make your time on it easier and more enjoyable, do the auto decompression cam update using an OEM Yamaha cam from a YZ450, or an aftermarket AD cam, such as the one from Hot Cams. You can do the mod with the Yamaha cam for as little as $100 plus maybe two adjustment shims, and get rid of the whole starting drill thing. You'll still stall it now and then, but it won't matter so much.

Once you've had it for a while, you can think about the Rekluse.

• Dizman

Posted April 06, 2007 - 11:48 AM

You may want to consider putting on a rear sprocket with another 1 or 2 teeth than what you have on it now. With a stock rear sprocket, first gear on the YZ is a bit "tall" for slow, tight, steep trail riding.

• SRT426

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:12 PM

Adjust you gearing for trails, maybe a 13/50, and that will help the stalling and such. Then maybe throw in a flywheel weight. These mods are much cheaper than the Recluse and I think they will suit your needs till your skill progress further.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.