96 XR650L no spark

13 replies to this topic
  • Kawartha

Posted April 01, 2007 - 05:33 AM

Well.. I went to start my bike and it did like it always does... turned over and over and over for 2-3 minutes.... it would usually then start. This time though, it just won't fire. I pulled the plug and it was pretty black (carbon), so I replaced it. There is no spark. :bonk: I have searched and searched the forums before posting, but I couldn't find a thing on no spark. Any help would be greatly appreciated... oh and I checked the fuses too.

Kawartha

• Xr650rhonda

Posted April 01, 2007 - 05:48 AM

Well.. I went to start my bike and it did like it always does... turned over and over and over for 2-3 minutes.... it would usually then start. This time though, it just won't fire. I pulled the plug and it was pretty black (carbon), so I replaced it. There is no spark. :bonk: I have searched and searched the forums before posting, but I couldn't find a thing on no spark. Any help would be greatly appreciated... oh and I checked the fuses too.

Kawartha

have you tried a new spark plug cap? Cheap and easy to change, I was thinking the L had a resistor in the cap.

• moose offroad

Posted April 01, 2007 - 05:52 AM

Kawartha

Are you sure? turn the lights off in your garage,have a friend kick it over while you ground the plug against the head,the spark is hard to see in the day light.spark doesnt stop just from sitting,sounds like a carb issue,try draining the float bowl with the fuel valve off,then re-fill the bowl and try to start it.Hope this helps.

• rebelventurer

Posted April 01, 2007 - 04:39 PM

No, something is up here :bonk: 2 minutes to get it to fire- not a good sign, could be a number of things. Do you have a manual? My first guess would be check the spark plug wire, cap just unscrews and yes there should be a resistor in there, second if you have the the manual and a volt meter follow the directions for testing the coil. Then I would work my way backwards to the stator, testing everything as you go. Let us know if you do not have the manual, I or someone will help you out with the proceedure. Good luck!
A normal scenerio on cold bike start for my bike is, half choke hit magic switch for 2 revolutions of crank, and repeat usually fires up on second press of the button. no throttle twisting, just half choke and she runs!
Also the carbon build up could be from a weak spark, even a perfectly jetted bike will grow carbon if the spark is weak!
Oh, welcome to TT, some great guys are around here!!!!

• rmhrc630

Posted April 01, 2007 - 04:50 PM

96 model is getting on a bit.

Try a CDI - it's going to go soon anyway and by getting a new one you eliminate one issue.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 02, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Obligatory-
"For testing, bypass all the safeties by connecting *both* wires that go to the clutch lever switch on the handlebars to ground"

Dave

• Kawartha

Posted April 02, 2007 - 10:32 AM

Are you sure? turn the lights off in your garage,have a friend kick it over while you ground the plug against the head,the spark is hard to see in the day light.spark doesn't stop just from sitting,sounds like a carb issue,try draining the float bowl with the fuel valve off,then re-fill the bowl and try to start it.Hope this helps.

Defiantly NO spark.. :bonk: Drained float bowl as well, ad refilled.. notta.

Thanks though...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawartha

Posted April 02, 2007 - 12:45 PM

have you tried a new spark plug cap? Cheap and easy to change, I was thinking the L had a resistor in the cap.

I tried to pick one up during my travels today, and they ordered on me for me. We'll see what that brings.

Chris

• Xr650rhonda

Posted April 02, 2007 - 01:06 PM

I tried to pick one up during my travels today, and they ordered on me for me. We'll see what that brings.

Chris

I could see how it could be a safety like Xr650l dave has pointed out ( neutral safety switch or side stand switch). Hey was the kick stand up or down when you tryed to start, sorry I hoping for something easy.

• xrltim

Posted April 02, 2007 - 04:35 PM

Double check your handlebar switches, work the clutch and kickstand switches several times. They may have accumulated corrosion while sitting. Or, bypass them as someone else has mentioned. Be sure the ground cable to the frame under the seat is clean and tight. If all that checks out, you probably have a coil issue, either primary or secondary. Ohm meter and a manual will have the information you need. Good luck, be glad it happened while in your garage and not out somewhere.

• eschonda

Posted April 02, 2007 - 09:51 PM

Not to change the subject I have a simular ,yet slightly different problem. I have great spark even on the old plug. {put a new one in to eliminate that possibility} , and she just will not fire:confused: . Rode it two weeks ago, worked fine. I checked the valves. They were a .001 tight all the way around. I had CT racing do a port and polish and a CERDI CNC valve seat joba couple mo.'s back so I'm hoping they were just seating in. Anyway I am baffled as to why it won't fire. I even put a battery charger on full boost to spin it faster. Nothing!!:bonk: I have a 650R model , Edlebrock carb. on it , always has worked great.Starting procedure was no gas, and would always fire on second revolution. Now it spins until the battery is tired, but will not light! Any ideas???

• Kawartha

Posted April 22, 2007 - 02:39 PM

ok... I don't understand. 2 weeks back now, I bought new plug AGAIN... new ignition coil.. and cap. STILL no spark. I am convinced, and everyone I talk to is convinced, is thats it's the CDI. I price one from the dealer and it's $180 with taxes. I have to wait... save...

I walk by the bike daily, and for giggles and more often than not, TEARS.. I try to start it. Nothing. I try the wreckers.. I try different places to see if there is a used CDI someplace. Nothing. My friend says to me Saturday.. JUST ORDER IT! ok.. so I drive out to the dealer and finally order it. Because it's electronics, I have to pay for it first, and it's not returnable. I completely understand that, and agree as well. I pay and go home. I had to pick up a switch for the pool pump as well, beer store then home. mmm beeer...

ok.. so I had to get to the pool pump, thats on my work bench at the back of the garage. This means, walking BY the bike once more that day. I have to try to start it.. I HAVE to. Like trying to hold back a cough... you can't not do it. I turn the key. Hit the stop/run button. Press the starter. BACKFIRE! omg omg omg.... I break out in a cold sweat. I look around the garge for something ELSE that could have done it... I press the button again. I starts. It @%&$ing starts. :applause: And has done so ever since. It runs a little rough though... but chock full of power, and brings out emotions I havn't felt since she was put to bed in October.

My question is this.

WHY????? and is the CDI going to crap out again? Does a CDI work or not work?.. I mean, is there a middle... like rough running, missing, stalling, etc. Or if it's bad will it just not work. I think I now own a new one

-Chris

• rmhrc630

Posted April 23, 2007 - 02:20 PM

ok... I don't understand. 2 weeks back now, I bought new plug AGAIN... new ignition coil.. and cap. STILL no spark. I am convinced, and everyone I talk to is convinced, is thats it's the CDI. I price one from the dealer and it's $180 with taxes. I have to wait... save...

I walk by the bike daily, and for giggles and more often than not, TEARS.. I try to start it. Nothing. I try the wreckers.. I try different places to see if there is a used CDI someplace. Nothing. My friend says to me Saturday.. JUST ORDER IT! ok.. so I drive out to the dealer and finally order it. Because it's electronics, I have to pay for it first, and it's not returnable. I completely understand that, and agree as well. I pay and go home. I had to pick up a switch for the pool pump as well, beer store then home. mmm beeer...

ok.. so I had to get to the pool pump, thats on my work bench at the back of the garage. This means, walking BY the bike once more that day. I have to try to start it.. I HAVE to. Like trying to hold back a cough... you can't not do it. I turn the key. Hit the stop/run button. Press the starter. BACKFIRE! omg omg omg.... I break out in a cold sweat. I look around the garge for something ELSE that could have done it... I press the button again. I starts. It @%&$ing starts. :applause: And has done so ever since. It runs a little rough though... but chock full of power, and brings out emotions I havn't felt since she was put to bed in October.

My question is this.

WHY????? and is the CDI going to crap out again? Does a CDI work or not work?.. I mean, is there a middle... like rough running, missing, stalling, etc. Or if it's bad will it just not work. I think I now own a new one

-Chris

As you have alluded to in your post the CDI is either an on or off part. It cant be repaired and is a very very common issue with the 650L.

The CDIs last a while but they do go. In Australia a 650L CDI brand new is about $85 US - I know I put one on my 628.

There's a middle- the constant cutting out and what not - many people say this is not a middle as you cant trust a bike that acts like that far from home.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 23, 2007 - 03:01 PM

Not to change the subject I have a simular ,yet slightly different problem. I have great spark even on the old plug. {put a new one in to eliminate that possibility} , and she just will not fire:confused: . Rode it two weeks ago, worked fine. I checked the valves. They were a .001 tight all the way around. I had CT racing do a port and polish and a CERDI CNC valve seat joba couple mo.'s back so I'm hoping they were just seating in. Anyway I am baffled as to why it won't fire. I even put a battery charger on full boost to spin it faster. Nothing!!:applause: I have a 650R model , Edlebrock carb. on it , always has worked great.Starting procedure was no gas, and would always fire on second revolution. Now it spins until the battery is tired, but will not light! Any ideas???

sounds like a sudden loss of compression and or carburation to me

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.