wr 400 keeps stopping

2 replies to this topic
  • hot_1

Posted January 28, 2002 - 12:48 AM

I have a 00 model wr 400, The problem is that when it is ideling and you go to give it full throtle it dies and it also does it when you go to give it s%#t around a burm it just stops also.
Can someone please help as it is very annoying.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Missile

Posted January 28, 2002 - 02:29 AM

If it was working fine before...
- clean your carb with contact/carb cleaner and compressed air. First make sure ALL the o rings etc (esp the ones left behiond when you remove the fuel screw) are removed before you apply the air pressure or you'll lose em. Also make sure your APJ is working correctly. The insides of this gets gunged up reeeeeeal good sometimes and jams/malfunctions. The function of this little gem is to squirt gas down the throat and into the engine just before the revs really start to spin and the air flow into the engine takes things over. I think the theory is that at low engine speed when you crank it open for the first few tenths of a second the air rushes in faster than the gas from the jets can follow so you end up leaning the engine. This squirt compensates for that.
- Have you done the BK mode or other to your APJ to limit the squirt...could be you are getting too much and need to back it off.
- Taffy may insult you :D if you expect to whack it open from idle and get results...something about the engine not being under load so it dont work like it should .... I should know...he got me on that one a while back :)

Other than that if you still have problems you may want to post your jetting and have the experts render their opinion.

Posted January 28, 2002 - 04:05 AM

WHY? I Can Whack mine from a dead Idle and damn near be dismounted if I'm not careful. My jetting and settings were courtesy of Taffy and JD. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was hitting the rev limiter so early. I had to learn to short shift it, and the power is unbelieveable.

I used to have the same problems with my 400...But not since rejetting and changing the needle to the EKN.

Bonzai :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.