How soft is too soft?

2 replies to this topic
  • fetz518

Posted March 31, 2007 - 07:54 PM

I've been having trouble getting both feet to touch when I'm sitting on the bike, so I softened the rear suspension to the point where the top locking ring is about 1 1/2 inches from the top thread. I'm 5' 9", and it's up to the point that I can just touch both feet with my tippy toes. I'll be trail riding only at this point, and I'm wondering if that's going to be ok. Are there any con's to this setup for trail riding? The suspension definitely feels softer and I feel much more comfortable being able to touch both feet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted March 31, 2007 - 08:14 PM

Well, to properly balance the bike and therefore ensure it will handle terrain in a predictable and controlled manner, follow the guidelines for setup (i.e. 90-100mm of race sag and I believe about 20mm of free sag). This SHOULD be the point at which you will be most comfortable on the bike as you ride....the main goal. The comfort of being able to touch when you are standing still is not really all that important in the long run.

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2007 - 08:31 PM

You didn't soften anything. You simply reduced the preload on the spring. The "race sag" at the rear, the amount that the suspension compresses with the rider standing with all his weight on the pegs, needs to be within a specific range for the suspension to work properly, and the bike to handle and steer right. For an '06+, that's about 95-98mm, and for an earlier model, about 100mm. If you lower the bike simply by doing this, I'm afraid you'll find your front end pushes excessively, and tje rear may bottom out much more often.

Read:

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

Then:

http://www.tootechra...pension Tip.htm

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.