please help figure out this wiring.. 88' 600r

4 replies to this topic
  • scotty v-squared

Posted March 31, 2007 - 05:08 PM

i bought this bike from a friend and he said it had the street legal kit installed at one time but he never used it and just tore off the lights and such.

this wiring looks rigged to me and the color codes don't match what's in my factory book.

can ya'll tell me what i'm looking at?

or more importantly, tell me how to get spark back to the plug :bonk: ?

i just did a tear down of the motor/trans but for the life of me can't finger out this damn wiring.

cheers

here is the picture...

• rmhrc630

Posted March 31, 2007 - 05:53 PM

i bought this bike from a friend and he said it had the street legal kit installed at one time but he never used it and just tore off the lights and such.

this wiring looks rigged to me and the color codes don't match what's in my factory book.

i just did a tear down of the motor/trans but for the life of me can't finger out this damn wiring.

cheers

here is the picture...

Scott

This is one of the problems when custom wiring occurs. Now those wires are invariably power from the stator.

Does you engine start with those wires apart? Are these wires part of the dual sport kit?

On NA XRs you guys convert your XRs to road legal by running a 100% DC power system - Aussie XRs run 2 systems - AC (for head and tail light) and DC for blinkers etc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Xr650rhonda

Posted April 01, 2007 - 04:17 AM

[/URL]

It almost looks like a baja designs dual sport wiring kit ( well, a couple of parts from one), I think we can use there wiring diagram with the factory one to get the bike's lights working. These 3 links should do the trick and should be close to the wire colors involved.

As far as the no spark, make sure the exciter coil ( seperate from lighting coil) is connected to the CDI.

Universal wiring

Baja Designs old schematic

This may help too!

• moleculo

Posted April 01, 2007 - 09:13 AM

The two unplugged wires coming from your left engine case (stator) are the exciter coil and lighting coil leads. Black/red = exciter coil, blue = lighting coil. The black/red wire must be attached to its corresponding black/red mate from the main wire harness for the ignition to function. The blue wire is only for lighting and has no bearing on the ignition.
What you are referring to as a 4-wire relay in the photo I believe is actually an aftermarket rectifier/regulator.

• scotty v-squared

Posted April 01, 2007 - 11:27 AM

okay people, we have ignition! thank you for your help, she shifts smooth and runs great!

just have to tune the carb a bit and get the plates from dmv and i'm rollin...

cheers

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.