Cam timing question, can this be right?

5 replies to this topic
  • acb0173

Posted March 31, 2007 - 08:53 AM

I know cross-threading is an evil thing to do, but I figure you guys with the bigger XRs might have more technical knowledge of the XR/CRF-F motors. Please check out the following link and help if you can.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=489437

• Xr650rhonda

Posted March 31, 2007 - 11:32 AM

I know cross-threading is an evil thing to do, but I figure you guys with the bigger XRs might have more technical knowledge of the XR/CRF-F motors. Please check out the following link and help if you can.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=489437

here's my two cents and that's all it's worth, I would like to know if the "T" on the flywheel is lined up with the index pointer on the case and the plug is out of the bike and you can see/touch the piston with a plastic straw (piston @ TDC).
If those two things are happening and the cam marks match that picture, I wondering if the kid is telling the truth about not having it apart, because the case looks like has red silicone on it and someone put it together wrong.

• acb0173

Posted March 31, 2007 - 12:10 PM

I KNOW the kid didn't work on it himself, so that's why I asked the DAD if he had anyone else look at it. He assured me that no one else had. That's why I'm stumped that the bike DID run with the cam that far OUT of adjustment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Xr650rhonda

Posted March 31, 2007 - 12:23 PM

I KNOW the kid didn't work on it himself, so that's why I asked the DAD if he had anyone else look at it. He assured me that no one else had. That's why I'm stumped that the bike DID run with the cam that far OUT of adjustment.

If it was me I would look into the cam chain tensioner ( I know the DR's had a problem with there's) and put everything back to where it should be, you can pull the plug and slowly kick it through a couple of cycles to check your work. Sorry to doubt you, it looks like silicone in the picture like it's been worked on. Good luck!

• rebelventurer

Posted March 31, 2007 - 05:06 PM

That has been apart no question about it! Cam is two teeth off, too far advanced, even if you removed the cam chain tensioner it should/could not be that far off. Its gotta come apart to be timed correctly! Good luck, those helping the neighbor things always are harder than they are supposed to be! Since they are not being up front with you I would give the bike back and tell them to take it to the dealer, no need in getting yourself involved with a not good for neighborly relations scene. I have been through this too many times, first they wont really appreciate what you have done then when/if the bike tears up in the future it will be all your fault. :naughty:
Think about it, and good luck, making the right decision! :bonk:

• xr500_89

Posted March 31, 2007 - 11:49 PM

yeah i just timed my bike today what a BITCH especially by yourself with a broken finger give it back and have them take it to a mechanic

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.