650R swingarm/shock linkage maintenance.

3 replies to this topic
  • Fingers

Posted March 31, 2007 - 04:10 AM

In regards to the bearings for the swingarm and shock linkage in the 650R, I have read about excess wear of these items in many threads. Based on what I read this may be caused by lack of adequate factory assembly lubrication or possibly even the design/grade of the bearings/linkages. As there is no way to maintain (zerk fittings) without disassemby.. Is there any way of telling whether these items are in need of attention before they fail? I ask because after 2 years & 4k miles I don't see any problem with them (factory stock) on my bike and I don't want to embark on the arduous task of making tools & undertaking the disassembly to inspect and repack them if it is unneccessary. Bottom line of what I would like to know, for those that had them fail, or dissasembled them to find they were wearing out...was there any signs of wear/deteriorization apparent before disassembly? Appreciate any feedback>

• prockish17

Posted March 31, 2007 - 08:15 AM

I did not show any signs. I also ride in wet weather so it helped make it worse. When mine failed, the read bearings at where linkage connects to swing arm it literally cut the bolt during a race an collapsed the bike. These are all read type bearings down there and not sealed all that great. My question is how do you know its not bad, have you looked. It is not difficult to do the bearings at the linkage. The more difficult one is the big swingarm bearing. Still not difficult. Pull these bolts and see what they looklike. It may be orange due to rust. Pack it with some good waterproof grease. Again, its not hard. about 1.5 hours for the average guy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steed2

Posted April 02, 2007 - 03:19 AM

i bought my bike in march 06 and i went over it in december cause of the snow and if i had left those bearing alone without any more grease there is no way is would have made it though this season. The amount if grerase put in the linkage and head bearings at the factory is ridiculous.....

• dezracerE

Posted April 02, 2007 - 06:06 AM

If your bike is 2 yrs old- you may have a problem.
Although they appear and work fine- the sleeves will start to seaze to the bearings. You may have to heat the swingarm bolt and pound it to get it out.
Dont wait- you may be able to save most of them and just get new sleaves.
Honda does not add any grease to any of these bearings from the factory- it appears.

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.