Replacing XR600 cam chain+tensioner, what about the sprockets?

1 reply to this topic
  • cleonard

Posted March 30, 2007 - 08:35 PM

I was helping someone with a XR600 rebuild. The parts are about to be ordered. The cam chain and tensioner are on the list. The question he put to me is "do the sprockets need to be replaced?" I had never really thought of it. For a final drive chain the sprockets are always replaced with the chain, does this follow for the cam chain? This is a very high time engine.

It made me wonder so I'm asking here. When I replaced my cam chain I didn't even think about it. The cam sprocket looked good, but I don't even remember checking the crank end sprocket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Xr650rhonda

Posted March 31, 2007 - 11:54 AM

I was helping someone with a XR600 rebuild. The parts are about to be ordered. The cam chain and tensioner are on the list. The question he put to me is "do the sprockets need to be replaced?" I had never really thought of it. For a final drive chain the sprockets are always replaced with the chain, does this follow for the cam chain? This is a very high time engine.

It made me wonder so I'm asking here. When I replaced my cam chain I didn't even think about it. The cam sprocket looked good, but I don't even remember checking the crank end sprocket.

I think changing them would give you tighter tolerances between the sockets and the chain, promoting longer chain life; even if no wear is visible.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.