i cant believe what just happened

22 replies to this topic
  • perpetrator

Posted March 30, 2007 - 01:31 PM

so i go to kick over my 03 yz450f to do some illegal riding around the neighborhood. all i got on is some shorts, my nikes, and a helmet. i kick it the third time and give it some gas...and the bike kicked back REALLY HARD. it ripped my show off and threw it across the damn street and my ankle is now the size of a mellon. this is the lamest dirt biking injury possible. does anyone have an explanation for me as to why my bike did that? might it have something to do with the fact that it hasnt been running very well after it sat around for a long while? this just happened about 5 minutes ago, my damn shoe is still sittin on the other side of the

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2007 - 01:46 PM

Happened to me once, and it nearly broke my foot right through a pair of Alpinestars. It kicked back. Nasty little bitch ain't it? It's more likely if you start the bike in gear, or if you have disconnected the blue wire, since both of these cause slightly advanced timing at idle.

• 4Strokin it

Posted March 30, 2007 - 01:51 PM

on my yz250f, that happens when you give it gas while your kicking it. Twist the throttle 1-3 times before you kick it

• tammie

Posted March 30, 2007 - 02:06 PM

yah i was going to say won't that happen if you give it gas while your kicking.......once it did that do me and i swear my lower legs bones went through my knee...

• Markopolo400

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:11 PM

That has happend to me before when I was wearing shoes. Ouch, the outcome was not pretty.

This is why I never start my 400 now unless I am wearing my boots.

• perpetrator

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:24 PM

i just got off the phone witht the advise nurse because it hurts like hell. i told her how it keeps popping out of place when i put wieght on it so she told me to come into emergency immediatly. so i had to leave work and my boss is pissed. i was supposed to be bartending tonight and it is going to be busy as shit. this sucks.

• 642MX

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:57 PM

I've had bruises on the bottom of my feet before too. I learned a long time ago to only start it with a boot on.

• TMAC25

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:38 PM

Happened to me to an my 03 450, also damn near broke my foot through Alpinestars, but my kick start gear broke and it ended my day of ridding and took me days to figure out how to fix it on my own, I was mad as hell.

• BC3

Posted March 30, 2007 - 08:15 PM

Sorry to be so cold, but why would you try to start an open bike without boots?

• perpetrator

Posted March 30, 2007 - 08:44 PM

i was just messin around. i only wanted to do a little neighborhood rinding, but my bike beat me up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 250Thumpher

Posted March 30, 2007 - 09:08 PM

It's a 4-stroke.

Do not give it gas while kicking.

I kickstart my bike with flip flops on. It's just a matter of keeping your hand off the throttle.

• mudhog426

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:12 PM

:naughty: oops, :D excuse me :bonk: sorry, don't mean to laugh at your expense but I can't get the mental picture of you dressed how you say you were out of my head. Sorry to hear of your :bonk: but never ever, not even a little tiny bit have the throttle open when kicking a four stroke. Hope you heal fast and hope a lesson has been learned.

• Kasjok

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:47 PM

Even the manual says not to give it any gas while kicking as it may kick back.

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2007 - 07:26 AM

It's a 4-stroke.

Do not give it gas while kicking..

never ever, not even a little tiny bit have the throttle open when kicking a four stroke.

Even the manual says not to give it any gas while kicking as it may kick back.

If you try to start mine cold without a touch of throttle, all you'll get is a lot of exercise. :bonk:

• Ga426owner

Posted March 31, 2007 - 07:42 AM

If you try to start mine cold without a touch of throttle, all you'll get is a lot of exercise. :bonk:

Ain't that the truth GreyRacer.......my 03 has always had to be fuel primed (two to 3 twist on the gas prior to kickin it) before kickin it over....sometimes I wish I had a little plastic fuel primer next to my hot start....that way I can see fuel going in the carb :bonk:

On the subject of kickstarter kick back.......you all have not seen anything jack, until you try to kick a 470cc BB....never kick it cold with throttle turned....it can pogo you right off the seat....:D

You may have a broken ankle by the way :naughty:

• 642MX

Posted March 31, 2007 - 08:36 AM

Maybe you have a tight valve? :naughty:

Just kidding.....:D

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 31, 2007 - 08:58 AM

Before or during?

Before is mine. And like your bike, you'll be huffin and puffin your way to a bumpstart if you whack the throttle before hand.

But during the kicks, it will kick back. I acciedntally did it when kickin the YZF and it kicked back at me a bit.

To prevent it, I put my hand on the metal casing of the throttle tube. No problem since...

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2007 - 11:19 AM

Maybe you have a tight valve? :bonk:

Just kidding.....:naughty:

Not.

Before or during?

During. But not much, just a crack off of idle, and never hot unless it's already shown signs of flooding. I don't start it in gear anymore, BTW.

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 31, 2007 - 11:42 AM

Not.

During. But not much, just a crack off of idle, and never hot unless it's already shown signs of flooding. I don't start it in gear anymore, BTW.

Hm. When it bucked back at me it was only a slight throttle opening.

I think the may in the manual is pretty spot on. Kinda like it has a mind of it's own and will buck back at ya when it feels like it.

• moose offroad

Posted March 31, 2007 - 11:56 AM

i just got off the phone witht the advise nurse because it hurts like hell. i told her how it keeps popping out of place when i put wieght on it so she told me to come into emergency immediatly. so i had to leave work and my boss is pissed. i was supposed to be bartending tonight and it is going to be busy as shit. this sucks.

Your 19 and a bartender..........:bonk: Hope your foot isnt broke.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.