Is there any way to cheat

6 replies to this topic
  • xr500_89

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:59 AM

is there any other way to adjust the timing without taking the valves cover and tensioner off to retime the bike i just got done putting it back togethor and it runs but coughs back sometimes hard then she wont stay running but revs very nicely i think it may be to far advanced any ideas?

• cleonard

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:08 AM

If you are talking about valve timing, then yes you have to take it apart to move the chain. Ignition timing is not adjustable.

I put mine together once and I had it one tooth off. My symptoms were pretty much the same. It would not idle and the power was off. Before ripping into it check you valve clearance one more time. If a valve doesn't quite close then you can get the same kind of symptoms.

When ever I have my cam chain off, I check it about 10 times that it is on right before putting the valve cover back on. There are two different marks on the flywheel. Be sure that you are really at TDC on the flywheel when checking the timing marks on the cam sprocket.

• rebelventurer

Posted March 30, 2007 - 12:14 PM

Cleonard is absolutely correct! I use a drinking straw in the spark plug hole to also confirm TDC. Take your time check everything at least twice, including valve clearances before buttoning it up.
No cheating allowed!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DGXR

Posted March 30, 2007 - 02:16 PM

Buy a hot/high-rev ignition box. Plug & Play! Shake & Bake!

• Kawabuggy

Posted March 30, 2007 - 02:27 PM

Also, be certain that the timing is actually the problem. The symptoms you describe could be caused by several different things. I can think of a few off-hand. What about a plugged pilot jet? What about a coil that is going out?

Obviously if you have recently had the motor apart and the other things were working fine before you took it apart, than most likely they are not the culprit.. But... How long was it down? Long enough for gas in the float bowl to dry out and leave sediment??? Try the easy things before you tear back into it.

• Xr650rhonda

Posted March 30, 2007 - 02:34 PM

is there any other way to adjust the timing without taking the valves cover and tensioner off to retime the bike i just got done putting it back togethor and it runs but coughs back sometimes hard then she wont stay running but revs very nicely i think it may be to far advanced any ideas?

It sounds like time for a new cam chain.

• xr500_89

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:41 PM

chain is new puls generator is new coil is new all is new just was wondering if there was any way

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.