XR650L-alternator capacity

1 reply to this topic
  • michaelschorpp

Posted March 30, 2007 - 06:31 AM

Hi There,

I'm in the market for a XR650L to use for commuting. In the colder seasons I would like to use a heated vest and grips. Would there be enough power in the stock alternator for these accessories? In addition the headlight has to run all the time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:06 AM

I think that the spec is 185 watts at 5000 rpm. Sometimes those numbers are conservative and sometimes optimistic. It's hard to know without trying it. Add up the watts of what you are thinking of using and as long as the total is less than 170 or so. You need a few left over so the battery stays charged. The ignition is 12 volt powered so give that 10 watts. I don't know how much it actually uses, but 10 watts is a decent guess. The ignition, the headlight, and the tail light are about the only things that are on all the time. To save a few watts replace the taillight bulb with a LED version. That should give you about 100 watts to play with.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.