Retruing (sp???) my rim?

3 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted March 29, 2007 - 11:05 PM

I made a dumb beginners move and didn't check my spokes on my new YZ450 until probably 10+ hours on the bike. By that time a few of the spokes on the front rim were so loose you could spin the nut with your fingers. Dumb beginner move 2 was not researching how to correctly tighten them so I just cranked one until it was tight, moved on to the next one and so on. My wheel looks kind of like when my 2 year daughter tries to draw a circle. Well it's not that bad but it needs work. Is there a way to fix it myself or do I need to take it somewhere? I'll be back in AZ in a week to have my whole suspension redone....do most suspension shops do this kind of work as well?

Also, I had a slow leak on the same front rim so I took it to a "motorcycle" shop here in Mexico and they beat up the rim changing the tire. There are places where the rim is slightly bent out from the tire where they obviously got over zealous with the tire irons. Is this rim shot? I'm about to sell my '04 WR450, is that the same quality rim as on the YZ450? If so would it be worth swapping out?

Thanks!

• jamiehughes

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:04 AM

the places the rim is bent out are probably from running the bike with the tire low, the loose spokes definitely didn't help the rim situation. same thing happened to my 06, my spokes were tight though, mine flatspotted at the rim lock. i think the rims just arent as strong as they used to be on the newer bikes(quality of materials)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:42 AM

http://www.motoclass...nts/spokes.html

The truing part starts about halfway down, in a paragraph that begins with, "Now is the time to take a bit of a breather".

• red7

Posted March 30, 2007 - 09:11 PM

The article doesn't make it sound too hard but I'll have to figure out how to make a jig. Is it fairly easy to do or am I'm better off taking it somewhere? What about the places where the guys bent the rim out slightly away from the tire when the took the tire off the rim? Is that a big deal? I'm just wondering if my rim is shot and I should add that to the order of stuff I'll be picking up when I go to the States this coming week.

Thanks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.