valves

7 replies to this topic
  • xr-jorger

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:29 PM

how hard is it to adjust the valves? are yours noisy mine seem to be but she runs great!

• goblin127

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:47 PM

how hard is it to adjust the valves? are yours noisy mine seem to be but she runs great!

you have to tell use which XR you have first,but yea they are easy to adjust.

• xr-jorger

Posted March 29, 2007 - 08:18 PM

1998 xr600r......

• Owyhee

Posted March 29, 2007 - 08:26 PM

With the stock tank it takes me about 30 minutes to adjust the valves. It's really easy. It takes a little longer with a big tank because the tank has to come off.

If memory serves you need:

1) 27mm wrench/socket to remove the caps
2) 8 and 10mm box-end wrenchs for the adjuster nut
3) Leaf-type feeler gauge

Someone please correct my numbers if they are wrong.

The only tricky valve is the right (as you sit on the bike) exhaust valve as it has the auto-decompressor.

My valves are very quiet. The only time I hear them is at idle and only if I'm listening for them.

"O"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr-jorger

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:06 PM

Great Help Thanks

• RTSinDallas

Posted March 29, 2007 - 10:44 PM

Very easy, I did mine for the first time this week, and there is nothing to be afraid of. Seems like it was a 24mm or 27mm six sided for the covers and a 12mm for the lock nut and a 17mm for the crank, or you can use the kick starter to find tdc. I put a small piece of tape on the socket for the crank, and aligned it with the T on the fly wheel, so I knew win tdc came around. Pull the plug and I used a small dia wood dowel in the sp opening to feel the piston come up. With the tape and dowel. I was able to find true tdc. You will know tdc when the rocker arms have a little play and all valves are shut. Adjusting was straight forward. It took less than ten minutes, but I already had the tank off. If you use a wrench on the crank make sure you only go counter clockwise ( I think ) If you miss the mark, make a full rotation. Oh yea, make sure the motor is cold before you start.

RT

• xr-jorger

Posted March 30, 2007 - 05:19 AM

another great reply, thanks guys....I will try it tonight!

• cleonard

Posted March 30, 2007 - 06:33 AM

With the stock tank it takes me about 30 minutes to adjust the valves. It's really easy. It takes a little longer with a big tank because the tank has to come off.

If memory serves you need:

1) 27mm wrench/socket to remove the caps
2) 8 and 10mm box-end wrenchs for the adjuster nut
3) Leaf-type feeler gauge

Someone please correct my numbers if they are wrong.

The only tricky valve is the right (as you sit on the bike) exhaust valve as it has the auto-decompressor.

My valves are very quiet. The only time I hear them is at idle and only if I'm listening for them.

"O"

It's 24mm for the adjuster caps on the XR600. The adjuster nuts are 12mm and you should use a torque wrench for final tightening.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.