Brokerage fees on US parts into Canada??!

6 replies to this topic
  • xrunt

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:15 PM

I am a rookie but would like to hear from other Canadians re: bringing all these great parts and equipment over the 49th. I prepaid for a Clarke tank (CD$ 226 incl UPS) and 2 weeks after it arrived I got a bill for another $76 frp, a brokerage firm (incl GST)!!

Is this normal ? - because it jacks up the price to make it stupid.......
Ordering parts thru a dealer seems to be a better deal......????
Thanks in advance.

• westerncan

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:25 PM

UPS and Fed ex are rip-offs. Regular mail is better. There are a few threads about Fed-ex, UPS brokerage charges etc.

• Nummie

Posted March 29, 2007 - 11:52 PM

Absolutly - go with USPS / Canada Post.
Screw the couriers and their brokerage fees.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MartinDKtm

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:01 AM

Try to make peoples that ship you stuff to sent it as a GIFT with a low value (less than 50$-100$). They must write gift on the shipping papers and 99% of the times you wont have to pay nothing. As the other told Usps/Canada post is the only way to do it!

• Slim Shadetree

Posted March 30, 2007 - 06:23 PM

why would a business want to lie and write gift on it ? that would ruin their credibility.

• tfb4me

Posted March 30, 2007 - 06:28 PM

My advise to you is to not take the advise of contacting the seller and asking him to lower the value for customs.What hapens if it is damaged in transit and they only will insure you for $50.00 to $100...aahhhhhhh!!!:bonk:
I have been buying and selling on ebay for darn near 10 years and I have learnt that you just buy in Canada or if you really realy need it get ready to buck up!It's not the couriers it's the Canadian customs that charge that much!

• radvocaat

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:04 PM

Check the Canada forum. There have been posts regarding UPS and Fed Ex ripping people off with hidden duties. There is a link within those posts to sign a list, people that have been charged high duties. A lawsuit is underway I believe, haven't checked in a long time. FWIW

I only buy from the US if they agree to ship USPS.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.