• glenn6109

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:53 PM

no more info!!!!

• xr650l bum

Posted March 29, 2007 - 05:03 PM

Why not just by a 600 motor.

• glenn6109

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:55 PM

why, because i wanted to know what it would take to convert a 650l to kick start and now my engine is basicly a stroked 600r and it has 43 hp and hauls ass and i have that satisfaction of knowing i did it. oh yea any one can swap motors but not everyone can or will go thru what i did to educate myself and create what honda wouldn't. glenn

• xr650l bum

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:01 PM

My goal is to add the kickstart to the L but leave the electric start. I want to take the r transmission, wich is better, and install into the L. Now that you are so educated, any ideas?

• goblin127

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:49 PM

I like the tranny idea.

• glenn6109

Posted March 30, 2007 - 05:25 AM

first let me say you are a smart ass and you need to listen more and stop throwing rocks and you might just learn something. find a trans on e-bay and install in your cases, yea its that simple and install the kick start parts and clutch cover and you have both elec and kick. glenn

• xr-jorger

Posted March 30, 2007 - 05:46 AM

I can see this thread is gonna get ugly.....

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 30, 2007 - 09:16 AM

Glenn, I can understand removing the Estart if a few pounds mean that much, but I can't envision a few pounds being that important on an XRL. I mean, the things so heavy... does it feel different?

Was machining the crank just to reduce weight, or to allow using a smaller cover to narrow the bike? Or was the main goal to make it rev quicker?

How many pounds actually got removed- did you weigh the extra stuff?

The tranny diff between an XR600R and an XR650L is a smaller 1-2 gap, and the R countershaft is longer on the right to accept a gear that connects to the kickstarter. That's why you have to split the cases to add the kicker.

Earlier XR600Rs had a countershaft with fewer splines, and were more prone to problems.

Not sure where the little goober is that actually actuates the neutral switch.

Dave

• glenn6109

Posted March 30, 2007 - 01:07 PM

First Let Me Tell You That You Are Wrong About The Countershaft Being Longer On The Xr/xl, The Shafts Are The Same Length And Honda Skipped Cutting It Down Because The Engine Didnt Need A Idler Gear Because They Were Only Elec Start, You Just Have To Cut About A 115 Thds Off And Install The Gear And Install Your Kick Parts And Cover And Your Done (period) Now As Far As The Weight Goes I Can Tell You I Dont Have A Brp Because I Have Lost 35 To 40 Lbs And It Does Not Feel Heavy At All. The Crank Has To Be Cut So You Can Use The Old Light Weight Flywheel Which Makes The Engine Rev Much Better And I Really Wanted A Stroked Xr600 Engine Which Is Basicly What You End Up With. I Replaced My Rear Fender With An Awesome Looking Mx Fender From Maihr And That Got Rid Of The Heavy Frame And That Hidious Large Tail Light. I No Longer Have A Battery And I Got Rid Of That Briefcase Of A Battery Box And Frame. I Removed The Small Metal Tank And Installed A Clark 4 Gal Plastic And I Really Like The Extra Fuel. Now When You Take All Of That Off Of Your 650l And All The Elec Garbage You Are Talking About Some Serious Weight. Also I Can Tell You That The Trans Gap Is No Longer An Issue When You Lose The Weight And Add The Horsepower , I Can Also Tell You Guys If You Want A Guaranteed 5 Horsepower Then Install A Wiseco 10.25 Comp Piston And A Hotcam And You Will Have 5 More Ponies. Yes I Do All My Mods On A Dyno.

• cleonard

Posted March 30, 2007 - 01:51 PM

How did you get a good finish on the place where the idler goes? The idler runs all the time that the engine is running, so if the surface is not mirror like smooth I would expect it to wear and eventually fail. I don't think the finish from a lathe would be good enough. What did you use to finish the end of the countershaft?

I hate to tell you, but it still is a BRP. It's just down to the weight of the other BRP's and not 40 pounds heavier like it used to be.

Sounds like a cool mod. Who says they still don't make XR600's. That's what you got execpt it's 50cc bigger and has higher compression.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam574

Posted March 30, 2007 - 02:32 PM

post the dyno sheets

• xr650l bum

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:12 PM

WOW! I did not see where I threw any stones. So first let me start by saying that you are both a sensitive, and cocky little *itch! Your version of the perfect xrl may not be anyone else's. These people that you are addressing may end up helping you down the road when you have problems(sure hope that doesn't happen).

• glenn6109

Posted March 30, 2007 - 05:52 PM

there may bhe a few good guys on this board but from what i'm hearing i think this board is just a clown hang out, i mean one guy says something totaly false and talks like he really knows what he is saying and then the next guy says some stupid stuff about the cut on a shaft that was cut with a precise hundred thousand dollar machine that is used for cutting. you guys with all that mouth should shut the hell up more often and you might learn something. you guys will always be slow and heavy because your to busy trying to sound smart but your lacking the brain cells to listen and learn.

p.s im in nc and ready to give all you losers some real honda power!!

• cleonard

Posted March 30, 2007 - 08:10 PM

I'm sorry that you think that I'm trying to say "stupid stuff." I just asked how you got a good finish on the machined part. I didn't know that you used a "precise hundred thousand dollar machine." That's what I was asking about. Sorry that you took it the wrong way. I can't speak for others but I believe

My dad always told me the fastest way to find out what you don't know is to open your mouth. It works even better when you think you know something, but it's wrong. I have learned a lot this way. I will continue.

Some people do things because of the journey not the destination. I think that includes you. You undertook a complex task just to do it. I would guess that it was for personal satisfaction more than anything else. I do this kind of thing as well. It's why I asked the question that I did. I want to know more. Most people are not like that. The time investment and effort is too much. They just head to the dealer and buy a new bike.

Ok now for something that will most likely just piss you off more. All we know about you is from what you post here. I have never met you. You may be a very talkative and articulate person in person. However, your posts are not like that. They can be hard to read. For me one reason for posting on this forum is to get some more practice writing. I had not been doing much of it for several years. I think that I can express myself better with writing because of it.

• desert4seat

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:54 PM

there may bhe a few good guys on this board but from what i'm hearing i think this board is just a clown hang out, i mean one guy says something totaly false and talks like he really knows what he is saying and then the next guy says some stupid stuff about the cut on a shaft that was cut with a precise hundred thousand dollar machine that is used for cutting. you guys with all that mouth should shut the hell up more often and you might learn something. you guys will always be slow and heavy because your to busy trying to sound smart but your lacking the brain cells to listen and learn.

Is this a f-u@k-king joke?
Glen? R U 4 real? You’ve ruined that L you lame-brain. No e-start???? Why don’t you turn it into a quad while your at it clown.
Loosing that starter/batt wont make you any faster…. you ½ brain newb.
You and your hundred million dollar dildo machine haven’t taught me anything…but your attitude tells me plenty.

keep up the good work a-hole.

• jetfuel

Posted March 31, 2007 - 07:30 AM

WOW ...You have know idea what this post has done for you... This is easily the best International Dirt bike site on the web for anything dirt bike related ...to finding good deals, fair opinions and intelligent technical articles ,to people who are willing to help you.. all for.... FREE..... I have found the people on this particular forum extremely helpful ,funny, intelligent and friendly. Lastly , you say we will always be slow and heavy ...??? ...Dude..NO S*IT ... its a 650L ...Its very versatile but does nothing truly well ,you can mod it all you want to make it better suited for your needs.. but its still a dinosaur ..Your last comment is the best .." real honda power" ....:bonk: :naughty: :D :bonk: :p Man, You RULE!.. ... Are you still dating men????

• rebelventurer

Posted March 31, 2007 - 08:27 AM

Glenn, I am impressed with the undertaking that you have chosen to do! I do not have the resources to take on a project of this complexity. However I must state that being curtious and understanding of others is important on this site, people seem to take offense if you tell them they are wrong, at that point the blinders go on and it matters not that you- EXAMPLE;( have discovered how to get a 100 mpg, while at the same time getting 65hp from your bike) all that matters is that you have hurt said persons feelings and possibly insulted their intellegence. Nuff said about that.
I think that shaving 40-50 lbs off a pig is a great modification, gaining a quicker revving more powerfull bike also great. I have read a thread "Ciao from Italy" where a fine man has spent countless hours and many Euros on lightening his XR650R I think he had lost around 30 lbs at the last update, and one of his mods was to remove the Euro only electric starter, among many, many others. Point is try to write your posts in a way that is not offensive to others. This is the best forum on the web for Our kind of bikes, and not everyone is interested in your "best XR mods" I think what you have done to the bike is great, the way you have posted those mods on here could use a bit more tact though. No offense intended. What other mods do you have planned? I am certain you can lose another 30 lbs or so! can you post the dyno sheets that reflect how much faster the engine winds up with the reduced flywheel weight, etc... What type of riding do you do? Is your bike a motard or is it used offroad? Yes, I think a supercharged dinosuar is cool and not as likely to go extinct, outrun that impending ice age, LOL. I look forward to your responses and reading about your future mods. I like your thinking outside the box. Most on here are knowledgable about these bikes others are wanting to learn and yes there are a few who are incorrigable. :naughty: One in particular has always impressed me with his knowledge and perspective and has a tactfullness about his posts to communicate answers in a informative but unobtrusive way, that person would be Cleonard :bonk: Anyway take care, be sure to offer a bit of an appology to those you may have offended, and I am sure all will be forgiven. I also post on this thread to try to improve my writing and communication skills, as I am sure you can tell I need all the help I can get :D

• glenn6109

Posted March 31, 2007 - 10:37 AM

no way man this site is full of smart ass people that have no idea what they are talking about and then they will swear its the truth. I have met these so called technitions many times and they are all the same (full of shit) and nothing to back it up and i will not try to help any more of these ****ing jerk offs ever again and i hope all these pricks get the bussiness end of a big ole truck!!! so all you little pricks just keep pissin around with your slow ass shit and enjoy!!!

p.s I hope the moderator blocks me cause i sure aint com'in back to help these ****'in mouthy losers.(period)

• CTXr650L

Posted March 31, 2007 - 10:42 AM

no way man this site is full of smart ass people that have no idea what they are talking about and then they will swear its the truth. I have met these so called technitions many times and they are all the same (full of shit) and nothing to back it up and i will not try to help any more of these ****ing jerk offs ever again and i hope all these pricks get the bussiness end of a big ole truck!!! so all you little pricks just keep pissin around with your slow ass shit and enjoy!!!

p.s I hope the moderator blocks me cause i sure aint com'in back to help these ****'in mouthy losers.(period)

OMG now thats some funny s*1t!!!! i cant belive someone can be so full of themself to come out with that:lol: :naughty: :D :bonk: :bonk:

• glenn6109

Posted March 31, 2007 - 10:51 AM

DO YOU SEE WHAT i MEAN ABOUT ****ING IDIOTS, THIS JOKE CAN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HP TO WEIGHT RATIO. HE THINKS THAT REMOVING THE ELEC START WAS CRAZY, IS IT BECAUSE HE IS A LITTLE QUEER AND CAN'T KICK START A MOTORCYCLE OR IS IT THAT HE IS JUST A BIG OLE BLOW HOLE, WELL I FIGURE BOTH!!! YOU ****IN FREAK!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.