YZ450f suspention for short big guy!

10 replies to this topic
  • Chad_Yzf

Posted March 29, 2007 - 02:19 PM

Hi my name is chad and i'm obviously new here. Awsome forum, lots of good info. I come from the quad tard era and been riding quads since i was like 12. i used to have a pw80 when i was little but that was so long ago lol. But recently i was riding my friends rm125, it was so fun and now im hooked on bikes, it just seems so much more fun.

But any ways i plan on getting a 07 yz450f. I'm 5'6 250 lbs and i can barley tipi toe sitting on the bike. i also weigh a little more then the average rider. but i got 2 questions

1. the dealer said they could "tighten up the suspension??? to lower it about an inch or inch-half when its time to purchase. i'm not sure if this would be the best way to go because i don't want to experience handling issues.
i was also looking at this as a option ( http://www.mountainm...lower-link.aspx) lowering link.

2. Will i need a stiffer spring in the rear?? i'm worried about bottoming out.

but any help would be appreciated. or if you could lead me in the right direction.

Thanks ~ Chad

• greeny

Posted March 29, 2007 - 02:40 PM

i am a bigger boy, i rode with the stock suspension for a few months, then let my dealer set up the suspension and i would have never thought it would make that much differance. I know that it might cost a little but put an 18in rim on the back and a 20in on the front. A a 20in front can help with handling.

• Ranger18

Posted March 29, 2007 - 03:21 PM

You are about 70 pounds too heavy for the stock springs, so I would replace those. As for the lowering link, that might be a good way to go, if you can find shorter springs for the front. If you lower the back of the bike with out lowering the front, then your bike will turn like sh!t.

If I were you I would look for a suspension shop and see what they say.

• jayh300

Posted March 29, 2007 - 05:44 PM

you might also look for a short seat. i am 5'6" also and have a yz400f, put a short seat on it and can actually touch with the balls of my feet both sides.
it is a little harder than stock, but i can give that up to touch a little. just a thought.
welcome to tt
jay

• Ranger18

Posted March 30, 2007 - 06:34 AM

you might also look for a short seat. i am 5'6" also and have a yz400f, put a short seat on it and can actually touch with the balls of my feet both sides.
it is a little harder than stock, but i can give that up to touch a little. just a thought.
welcome to tt
jay

That's a good point, and if you don't want to buy a seat, you can take the cover off your stock seat and shave off some of the foam then recover it.:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chad_Yzf

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:07 AM

So i could use a new rear sping and new fork springs? how much should that run me. It seems like its somthin i could do myself.

As for the seat height i might just leave it stock for now and see how it is out on the trails becasue i barley tetter totter when sitting on the bike... its not that bad, im just not 100% comftorable. I just dont want to be throwing money at a brand new bike and messin with the suspention before i even ride it. i might cut the seat but i hate the way that looks.

Thanks for the help guys, im going to talk to the dealers shop tomorrow and see what those guys say.

• jayh300

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:47 AM

i have heard the chains on those are not to good. you will prolly want to get a good chain. i have always barely touched and got by ok. i bought my 400 used and could not touch at all. when i got my seat, i had to buy a "package" of seats. when i got them in, i realized the seat on my 400 was a tall seat. so you can see i had issues. the short seat is way cool and does not look that much shorter than stock. it is 1 inch shorter in the bend of the seat. that's it. but i can actually touch both feet at the same time, a "feet" that has never happened before.
btw the new 450's are supposed to be great.
have fun
jay

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2007 - 09:21 AM

Springs will run something like $125 for each end of the bike.

• Ranger18

Posted March 30, 2007 - 12:17 PM

So i could use a new rear sping and new fork springs? how much should that run me. It seems like its somthin i could do myself.

As for the seat height i might just leave it stock for now and see how it is out on the trails becasue i barley tetter totter when sitting on the bike... its not that bad, im just not 100% comftorable. I just dont want to be throwing money at a brand new bike and messin with the suspention before i even ride it. i might cut the seat but i hate the way that looks.

Thanks for the help guys, im going to talk to the dealers shop tomorrow and see what those guys say.

There are some guys making their own step seats on here. You could do something like that were you take about 3/4" off the front of the seat, and leave a tall portion on the rear. That way it would serve three purposes.
1. it will allow you to touch the ground more confertably
2. You can get more weight on the front of the bike in turns
3. It will look cool :bonk:
Yah, I wasn't suggesting that you make it look like an fmx bike, but done right it could look very cool.

And Yes springs are easy to do. The front is a little more work, and if you have any doubts about it, you could proabably find a local suspension guy to revalve the forks and put in your new springs for about $250 (front only)

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 31, 2007 - 09:23 PM

I am 5'8" and wieghed about 300 lbs when I set up my 06 ( I have lost 35lbs so far this year). I had it resprung front and rear. That helped a ton, plus I could get my sag right too. I kept my 18" rear from my WR, but I dont think that did much for hieght, I think the diameter of the tires is the same as a 19". I had cut my seat too. The seat made the biggest difference as far as touching went. I had done this on my WR as it was even taller yet. In the mountains it just makes it so much easier. You can see some pics of my bikes on my putfile site.
http://www.putfile.com/phatazz450

All I can say is spend the time and money to set it up right. It makes it so much more fun Good luck. . BnB.

• Chad_Yzf

Posted April 02, 2007 - 04:33 PM

Yeah i think im going to cut the seat. About 3/4" or so and i should be fine. As for front a rear springs im still researching what rate of spring i need, and as for doing the work myself all i need is a service manual because i never serviced forks on a dirt bike before. Can't be to hard for an experienced mechanic :-)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.