need good carb. suggestions

21 replies to this topic
  • focallength

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:48 PM

Ok I need to replace my stock carb. (96 xr600r) Im not really looking to spend 500+ but am willing to spend 3-500. I mostly do alot of dual sporting (good mix of street and widely varied offroad at all altitudes) I need something that will help my throttle response mostly, as the stock carb likes to think for a second if you give it too much gas. Any suggestions will greatly help (remember I am looking for something good all around i.e. weekday easy riding followed by weekend hard riding) plus if you can give me web sites with your suggestions that would help alot too. Thanks again in advance.

• beezerjoe

Posted April 02, 2007 - 05:01 PM

I'd figure I'd bump this post up.I'm kind of curious myself what you all would recommend since I've got one.Sudco sells a pumper that looks close to stock.I haven't checked the cost yet.Where you at on this Cleonard?

• rmhrc630

Posted April 02, 2007 - 07:42 PM

EBAY keihin FCRMX41mm aftermarket model with APV, Choke and hot start - say no more

Ignore the reference to the TRX this is the one you want:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...096592609QQrdZ1

• jclaus98

Posted April 02, 2007 - 09:23 PM

Obviuously rmhrc630 didn't notice your comment about nothing over 500 bones, although, that carb could have started out at like $2 on ebay, so maybe it isn't his fault? Anyway, I've got a Mikuni flatside non-pumper 38mm carb on my '93 XR600R and it is incredable. Got it from this site, $161.00 delivered to my door and it is an amazing improvement from the stock P.O.S. carb. From no revs in the bottom to all the way up to where I think the piston is gonna come flying out of the head and everywhere in between it has amazing throttle response and pulls so much harder than the stock one. That's my recommendation, good luck.

• rmhrc630

Posted April 02, 2007 - 09:47 PM

Obviuously rmhrc630 didn't notice your comment about nothing over 500 bones, although, that carb could have started out at like $2 on ebay, so maybe it isn't his fault? Anyway, I've got a Mikuni flatside non-pumper 38mm carb on my '93 XR600R and it is incredable. Got it from this site, $161.00 delivered to my door and it is an amazing improvement from the stock P.O.S. carb. From no revs in the bottom to all the way up to where I think the piston is gonna come flying out of the head and everywhere in between it has amazing throttle response and pulls so much harder than the stock one. That's my recommendation, good luck.

I did notice his limit - $500.

Why not get the best carby for the last 5 years?

Any carby apart from stock will be an improvement - I have no stalling issues now

• zodran

Posted April 03, 2007 - 03:05 AM

A guy over on advrider whose keihin choke flap broke resulting in engine damage is looking for one. My alter ego recommended the mikuni since I had issues with a modified cv carb on my xrl.
As much as I would like an FCR I've got high altitude jetting changes figured out.
IMHO the mikuni is the best bang for the buck. DK :bonk:

• goblin127

Posted April 03, 2007 - 05:52 AM

Just starting my second season with the flat slide and its been way better than stock. Starts when its cold out.

• frankstr

Posted April 03, 2007 - 12:33 PM

I'm happy with the Edelbrock carb. :bonk: :naughty:

:D :bonk:

• jetfuel

Posted April 03, 2007 - 12:41 PM

I'll like the edelbrock also..

• xr500_89

Posted April 03, 2007 - 12:45 PM

i got the mikuni TMP-40 got it from pro flo for 270 if i recall the pumper on that sucker really makes all the difference and like someone stated before it start second kick when its cold first kick when its hot

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Owyhee

Posted April 03, 2007 - 01:06 PM

I have a question for the non-pumper Mikuni crowd:

I assume the carb has no choke, but does it have an enrichener? Do you have to use the "tilt and flood" starting method?

I really don't have issues with my stock carb once the bike is warm, its
cold starting gives me fits.

Also, is there a difference in fuel mileage? I get about 25-30 with the stock carb in the desert and about 30-40 on trails.

"O"

• adam574

Posted April 03, 2007 - 06:06 PM

i have had nothing but awesome luck with the edelbroc also... i am pretty sure it is under 400 to which is another plus. i can't get the bike to die or sputter off idle at all. and it idles awesome when i am in traffic. some people turn the idle up when starting but i haven't had to do this i just set the idle and carb settings once and haven't had to touch it since.

• daddyk

Posted April 03, 2007 - 07:00 PM

I have non-pumper mikuni on my 89 it has an enrichener Works good pull up the black knob, kick and it starts. The carb has a better feel then the stocker,seems to pull harder and longer and doesn't seem to flood as readly. The edelbrock on the 94 pulls great from the bottom to upper mid range because of the pump and is really fun for popping the front end up but flattens out above 7000 rpm and I think you could get more raw speed from the mikuni

• xr500_89

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:22 AM

^^^ agreed which brings us to the next question what kind of riding do you do more

• TheCure

Posted April 04, 2007 - 12:52 PM

That is exactly my application and I like your description of this carby. Can you give me the exact model number or link to this carb?

the price is RIGHT!

much thanks.:bonk:

One reason I DONT want a pumper carb is i'm assuming the mileage is a bit worse.

Ok, they have TWO Mikuni 38mm carbys.

im assuming you want the 43mm spigot? Part Number 42-6086? Price is 179.99
Can you clarify if that's the right part, if you know. And does it require new cables or can you use stock everything else?

• Owyhee

Posted April 04, 2007 - 01:33 PM

That is exactly my application and I like your description of this carby. Can you give me the exact model number or link to this carb?

the price is RIGHT!

much thanks.:bonk:

One reason I DONT want a pumper carb is i'm assuming the mileage is a bit worse.

Ok, they have TWO Mikuni 38mm carbys.

im assuming you want the 43mm spigot? Part Number 42-6086? Price is 179.99
Can you clarify if that's the right part, if you know. And does it require new cables or can you use stock everything else?

Which website are you looking at?

"O"

• TheCure

Posted April 04, 2007 - 01:49 PM

Which website are you looking at?

"O"

If you clik on the blue'd Mikuni (<----LOL like that) then clik on Mikuni carburetor you'll see exactly what I'm asking.

• xr500_89

Posted April 05, 2007 - 07:55 AM

well the pumper can pretty much be disable if you thread the screw all the way out

• zodran

Posted April 05, 2007 - 11:55 AM

well the pumper can pretty much be disable if you thread the screw all the way out

I have the mikuni flatslide non pumper, I think it was around $235 and was a big improvement over the cv carb that came on my xrl. It's actually a 38mm bored out to 41 IIRC for the xrl.
I've been looking at the pumper TMP 40's you mentioned over at pro flo, did your's come jetted anywhere close?
$270 fits my budget just fine, Thanks :naughty: :bonk:

• xr500_89

Posted April 05, 2007 - 01:44 PM

you know what it came pretty dam close needed a smaller main if i recall correct but there in tenn and im in cali but its a freakin awsome carb

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.