gray wires and air box

7 replies to this topic
  • kevinwr450f

Posted March 29, 2007 - 12:34 PM

Does anyone know if,on a 2007wr450f, the "gray wire" makes any change and does opening up the air box lend itself to sand intake???Will these mods void my warranty? There are too many conflicting stories on this topic. Please advise.

• ajetmech

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:32 PM

I ride a 06 WR450f and I live in the desert and have opened my air box and I have not noticed any problems. I do clean my filter after every 5-8 hours of riding. It is mostly sandy lohm and fine dust. I do stay away from deep water and mud now. As far as the grey wire I did not notice the differance right off the bat but the more I rode the more I noticed it especialy when I went out with a buddy that has the same year Wr450 and it was complety stock and blew him out of the water. I noticed the biggest differance when I put a White Brothers pipe on. I have stock gears, chain, wheels and sprocket and run 100 octan VP fuel right out of the pump. I have no problem hitting 90 mph. The fastest I have gone was 98. I see that you are from Flordia and if you do alot of puddle jumping and mudding then I would think twice about the air box. As far as the grey wire one of the other post tells how to put a toggle switch in so you can switch it on and off at will depending on the riding you do. That would be the way to go so that way you can decide which is best for you. Get yourself a new pipe or at least get rid of that insert out of it.

• kevinwr450f

Posted March 30, 2007 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the info... I took out the baffle and pea shooter out and it's pushing WAY more air. I still need to do the throttle screw etc...

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 30, 2007 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info... I took out the baffle and pea shooter out and it's pushing WAY more air. I still need to do the throttle screw etc...

In doing the airbox mod is everyone realizing that there is more you can remove than just the snorkle and brackets?

There is that other piece, plastic, that is held in by 2 screws in the top rear of the air box... after the snorkel is removed you can open this up too for some more CFM.. it's pretty evident when you look at it, I only bring it up because my GYTR AIS removal kit does not point it out, it only illustrates the snorkel removal...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DCaddy

Posted March 30, 2007 - 08:38 PM

Does anyone know if,on a 2007wr450f, the "gray wire" makes any change and does opening up the air box lend itself to sand intake???Will these mods void my warranty? There are too many conflicting stories on this topic. Please advise.

Do you mean the 30 day warranty? Hardly worth worring about. If you still haven't done the throttle screw, do it. Then put some jets in and open the air box and exhaust. You'll think your new bike is an 2009 and you are living in the future.

• kevinwr450f

Posted March 31, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Just rode my 07 for the first time and DAMN!!!! Only mod is the exhaust packing removed. Saw 67mph and had to back out. Can't wait to finish the mods

• MojaveThumper

Posted March 31, 2007 - 10:15 AM

Don't know about the grey wire. Didn't do my mods in stages. Went straight from....:D to :bonk:

Just becareful when you get done with the mods. The beast is definitely released.....:naughty:

• Andy - j

Posted April 08, 2007 - 12:20 PM

Done the grey wire mod, mutch more power, removed curved plastic shroud from air box inlet just rear of battery, major throtle response at all revs and sounds better

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.