Rekluse Clutch

9 replies to this topic
  • stihlman

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hey all, I am looking into buying a Rekluse clutch and I did not know what all components I would need to buy. I ride mainly Washington State trails and very little MX. I have an 03 YZ450F. Do I have to buy the basket also, and would you recomend the pro or the regular series. Thanks

• eazrider

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:43 PM

Hey all, I am looking into buying a Rekluse clutch and I did not know what all components I would need to buy. I ride mainly Washington State trails and very little MX. I have an 03 YZ450F. Do I have to buy the basket also, and would you recomend the pro or the regular series. Thanks

I have had 3 Rekluse clutches in my yammies; an '04, '06 450, and I just swapped out the older Rekluse in my '06 for the "Pro" version, as I moto a bit. I think for the average fellow, the older version would work fine. It is a bit more involved to install, but has been very dependable for me. I have the Perch adjuster, which while a bit pricey, allows 2 things: If you want to raise the engine speed at which the clutch starts to engage, it is very easy to simply increase the pre-load on the spring in the perch adjuster. Thumpers tend to want to flame out if you whack the throttle at low RPMS, and with the perch adjuster it is an easy matter to adjust the engagement speed up so the clutch doesn't drag, or stall when you hit the brakes. Second feature: it is nice to be able to grab the clutch if the throttle sticks.."nuff said...buy the older Z-Start, pick up the perch adjuster, you'll be a happy man once you get it tuned for your riding style.

• kxman

Posted March 29, 2007 - 02:10 AM

I have a Rekluse clutch with the perch adjuster that I removed from my 06 YZ450F that I will sell you. It is listed in the classified section or send me a PM.

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:27 AM

As far as the basket goes, take a look to see if you have any grooves in the one you got. If it looks good don't bother.

• torqueme

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:39 AM

I have the standard model in my '02 426. also have the perch adjuster. absolutely love the set-up for the tight trails i ride here. i run the stock clutch basket & have experienced no problems at all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:02 PM

You don't need the basket, unless yours is badly grooved. Be sure to have a look at the clutch boss also. I replaced mine already, it had a couple thousands missing that was trying to clog my oil filter....LOL

If you have to replace the boss or basket, get the OEM stuff or buy the basket from Rekluse. The Hinson, Wiseco, ect... are machined at different tolerances and can cause problems getting the installed gap correct.

I'd go ahead and replace all the fiber plates while your installing the Rekluse. I use Tusk plates cause they are cheap and hold up very well.

They don't (won't) make a Rekluse Pro for the 426's, but if they did, I'd most likely buy one.

• YZ450F Thunder

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:11 PM

I understand the basic principle of the this clutch I think.

But if you are in a position where you have to slip the stock clutch to go slow enough isn't the Rekluse slipping also at that speed? If so how do you keep the heat down and how long will it last.

It sounds like an automatic clutch that you would have on a small 50cc bike like a KTM Pro Junior but heavier. And they get hotter than hell if a kid isn't riding them hard.

Just wondering about the heat issues at low, low speeds.

Thunder

• 642MX

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:41 PM

I understand the basic principle of the this clutch I think.

But if you are in a position where you have to slip the stock clutch to go slow enough isn't the Rekluse slipping also at that speed? If so how do you keep the heat down and how long will it last.

It sounds like an automatic clutch that you would have on a small 50cc bike like a KTM Pro Junior but heavier. And they get hotter than hell if a kid isn't riding them hard.

Just wondering about the heat issues at low, low speeds.

Thunder

Yes, the clutch slips at low speeds. And yes, It will also get hot really fast in tight technical stuff.

The clutch operates so smoothly that most people find that the Rekluse is actually easier on the plates and they will last the same length of time or possibly longer.

On the flip side, some people with Rekluses will run in 3rd gear when they should be in 2nd gear. This causes excessive wear on the fibers. Just because it will pull itself at 10mph in 5th gear doesn't mean your supposed to do it. Some people have a hard time with this "concept".

To answer your question, the Rekluse's are not the fix for proper gearing and riding in the right gear for the pace your riding. You don't have to be wide open all the time to keep it engauged.

Also, Rekluse recommends Shell Rotella 15W40 for use with the auto clutch. From what I understand, the Rotella deals with heat well and keeps the clutch operating smoothly. I made the switch when I installed my Rekluse, its nice paying only $8 a gallon for oil. Its so cheap that I change it every ride.

Hope this helps...

• Max_Aus

Posted March 30, 2007 - 12:34 AM

The Rekluse clutch is great, takes a little time to adapt but it is well worth it when it is set-up correctly. Use the gear box just like you were riding a bike with a standard clutch and it will run perfectly for many miles. It is great to just stop on that rocky hill, take a look and then just accelerate away smoothly. Going down hill take a bit of getting used to but once you have the disengagement and hook up worked out it is a breeze. A quick blip of the throttle re-engages the clutch and engine braking once again.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 31, 2007 - 09:44 PM

You may want to do a search on the Perch Adjuster. There are a few of us who got the perch adjuster and got rid of it. For us, it took too much adjustment and went out of adjustment too often. Plus the feel of the clutch it nowhere near the stock feel and renders it virtually useless, at least to us. There definatley is some upsides to it, but there were more downsides to me. Plus then I got the hand brake kit. Now that is AWESOME. Do alittle searching before you buy. Also, I would just get the oringinal Z-Start. I think you will love it. Good luck. BnB. :bonk:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.