Air bleeding the forks in the back of the truck

12 replies to this topic
  • yamaha6j

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:38 PM

I was wondering if it was ok to bleed the forks when tied down in the back of the truck? I just bought some quick bleeders that you press down on and it seemed to let out a bunch of air. I thought this would make the fork seals last longer. Any body try this out yet?

Matt

• flintlock28

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:46 PM

Only bleed the forks when the forks are free-hanging (i.e when the bikes on the center stand) If you bleed when the forks are compressed, and than ride, when you go over a jump the forks will create a vacuum, and not want to fully extend.

I guess you would be o.k. if you bled the forks when it's on the truck, and then BEFORE you ride, you put the bike on the center stand and re-bleed them.

• yamaha6j

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:51 PM

Thanks, I thought the same. I was going to bleed them again when it was on the stand befor the start of the day.

• 642MX

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:55 PM

^^^^ I agree. Only bleed them on the bike stand. The speed bleeders work great, I got the ones from Motion Pro.

• yamaha6j

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:57 PM

Ya, but if you bleed them again befor riding than what harm is there to it? I'm just trying to save the fork seals from leaking, and think this may be the ticket...

• 642MX

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Ya, but if you bleed them again befor riding than what harm is there to it? I'm just trying to save the fork seals from leaking, and think this may be the ticket...

Dirt kills fork seals. Being tied down properly won't harm the seals.

Get some Seal Savers to help protect your seals, they really do work. I can get a whole season out of my seals now that I use the Savers. Before I used the Seal Savers my fork seals wouldn't make it 3 months.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted March 29, 2007 - 08:36 AM

Dirt kills fork seals. Being tied down properly won't harm the seals.

Get some Seal Savers to help protect your seals, they really do work. I can get a whole season out of my seals now that I use the Savers. Before I used the Seal Savers my fork seals wouldn't make it 3 months.

I had quite the opposite experience. I've got over 75 hours on my stock fork seals, and the only time I've had to clean them (the ole' film trick) was the only ride I've done with seal savers.....needless to say, they came off and were never put back on. That was about 40 hours ago, and no more leaking. I think the seal savers actually trapped dirt/dust under them and influenced the leak.

Bottom line, worst waste of $20 I've spent, and won't be spending it again.

• 642MX

Posted March 29, 2007 - 08:45 AM

I think the seal savers actually trapped dirt/dust under them and influenced the leak.

Your supposed to roll them up and clean them every once in awhile. I'm going to keep on using them, I'm sure they triple the seal life. :bonk:

• Ranger18

Posted March 29, 2007 - 10:05 AM

I was wondering if it was ok to bleed the forks when tied down in the back of the truck? I just bought some quick bleeders that you press down on and it seemed to let out a bunch of air. I thought this would make the fork seals last longer. Any body try this out yet?

Matt

If you bleed the air out while the bike is tied down, it will actually lower the front suspension a little. Some racers do this for really tight tracks, to improve their turning. If you put the bike back up on the stand and rebleed then you will bring everything back to normal.
Bleeding the air won't help with the seals, just the perfomance of your suspension.

• ____Kurt____

Posted March 29, 2007 - 02:01 PM

fork saver always takes the load off the forks and will not need to bleed forks because they wont be compressed

• Ranger18

Posted March 29, 2007 - 03:26 PM

fork saver always takes the load off the forks and will not need to bleed forks because they wont be compressed

You still need to bleed the forks. There are alot of variables to take into consideration.

Temp.
Elevation
Riding

• ____Kurt____

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:04 PM

You still need to bleed the forks. There are alot of variables to take into consideration.

Temp.
Elevation
Riding

i was just talking about when transporting th ebike not riding it, obviously when you ride it or compress the froks an excesive amount you need to bleed it. but when your just hauling it in the back of your truck or in a trailer it helps the seals when they aren't being compressed

• Ranger18

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:33 PM

i was just talking about when transporting th ebike not riding it, obviously when you ride it or compress the froks an excesive amount you need to bleed it. but when your just hauling it in the back of your truck or in a trailer it helps the seals when they aren't being compressed

Sorry, I guess I mis-understood what you said. :bonk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.