Fuel screw stripped !!!

9 replies to this topic
  • yamaha6j

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:25 PM

:bonk: I had dialed in my fuel screw a couple of times at the track yesterday, and noticed it got harder and harder. I think I stripped it. Is there a way to fix it? Or should I just let it stay and use plyers back and forth for now.

• 642MX

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Which part stripped? The screw or the threaded hole in the carb?

• yamaha6j

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:01 PM

I don't know yet. I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and remove it completly, or let it stay and use needle nose or something just to get her dialed in. What do you think?

• 642MX

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:05 PM

I'd take it apart and fix it.

• rexbond007

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:07 PM

remove the float bowl , that will expose the screw then you can see the damage without having to take the carb off. if its really bad take the carb off.
if it's just the flat screw head replace it with a after market screw.(zipty)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha6j

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:10 PM

Thanks, I will try it and see. If for some reason it is the threads from the carb and not the screw, what would you do?

• 642MX

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:14 PM

Thanks, I will try it and see. If for some reason it is the threads from the carb and not the screw, what would you do?

Chances are its just a stripped screw. If the carb is stripped I'd start with trying Permatex's thread repair kit. Its a liquid-putty stuff that I've used on oil filter drain bolts and a few other projects.

Pull the carb, flip it upside down and keep us posted. :bonk:

• BC3

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:03 AM

Call Sudco in LA....they will have an answer.

• Ga450owner

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Stock fuel screw is brass and it is softer than the threads - hopefully if it is stripped, it is the screw - remove it and replace with Zipty.

• Yamahafan

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:32 AM

I always put a little assembly lube on the threads of my Zip-Ty fuel screw to ensure it doesn't seize. I have never had a problem with it backing out because the spring tension holds it in place. In any event, replacing the stock fuel screw is the first mod anybody should do.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.