Fork Seal Drivers Questions??

6 replies to this topic
  • rtrolli69

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:16 PM

:bonk: Im having the same trouble with my 05,I bottomed it real hard on the moto-x track.Now both seals are leaking.Any sugesstions on what brand and size, fork seal driver to use??Dealer wants over $200 smacks to change them!!:naughty: My brother has a 03 model would the seals andDriver be the same??Hes changed them when we rode 90 model Hondas so were thinking we will give it a try for that price.Manual has a great breakdown.Any info and suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks TTers

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:24 PM

:bonk: Im having the same trouble with my 05,I bottomed it real hard on the moto-x track.Now both seals are leaking.Any sugesstions on what brand and size, fork seal driver to use??Dealer wants over $200 smacks to change them!!:naughty: My brother has a 03 model would the seals andDriver be the same??Hes changed them when we rode 90 model Hondas so were thinking we will give it a try for that price.Manual has a great breakdown.Any info and suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks TTers

I made my own out of PVC union, .98 cents at Home Depot:thumbsup: Works great on my 04'

• wickoffracing

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:29 PM

whats up bro...you can get a motion pro fork seal driver for around 80 bucks and you'll need a 47mm fork seal driver...that should take care of your problems and if not let me know i'll give you a good price

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • knucklehead

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:54 AM

you have a 2005 wr 450f - i just replaced mine. i went to home depot and bought 2 or 2.5 inch pvc cut in half ground down the end and it worked great.
when i installed the new seals i had to boil water and pour it on the outer tube (seal housing) and they popped right in. i wouldnt buy the seal driver. the forks are 48 mm not 47mm.

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 30, 2007 - 11:22 AM

you have a 2005 wr 450f - i just replaced mine. i went to home depot and bought 2 or 2.5 inch pvc cut in half ground down the end and it worked great.
when i installed the new seals i had to boil water and pour it on the outer tube (seal housing) and they popped right in. i wouldnt buy the seal driver. the forks are 48 mm not 47mm.

I've never heard of anyone expanding the outer tube before or though it would be necesary, this is interesting ........... not that it is or is not a good idea I've just never had problems getting the seal in with my PVC driver.

Like knuckle head said and I forgot, the end of the PVC home made driver that is in contact with the seal needs to be champfered so that it is only contacting the outer ring of the seal:thumbsup:

• WR_Jason

Posted March 30, 2007 - 02:22 PM

Ditto on the PVC. Or use a socket, just make sure you drive the outside of the seal. Pack the inside with Vasoline if there is a spring in there. If the PVC is not the exact right size you can use the old seal as the face of your driver. I have also been know to cut a groove out of the PVC pipe and use a hose clamp to squeez it down to the right size or a rag to expand it out.
Just keep it all clean and make sure you measure the fork oil, work the fork to work all the air out of the system. Oh and lets not forget the outragously priced Yamaha fork oil that you will need just over one bottle worth of for the job

• DCaddy

Posted March 30, 2007 - 08:06 PM

Ditto on the PVC. Or use a socket, just make sure you drive the outside of the seal. Pack the inside with Vasoline if there is a spring in there. If the PVC is not the exact right size you can use the old seal as the face of your driver. I have also been know to cut a groove out of the PVC pipe and use a hose clamp to squeez it down to the right size or a rag to expand it out.
Just keep it all clean and make sure you measure the fork oil, work the fork to work all the air out of the system. Oh and lets not forget the outragously priced Yamaha fork oil that you will need just over one bottle worth of for the job

Dude... you nailed it. Improvise on tools and then get screwed on the fork oil. My thoughts exactly. Lets ebay the balance of that oil!

Anyway, seals are cheap. My bike came with a fork that leaked. Pissed me off but after growing nuts to change them, its no longer a problem.

BTW...There is a lot of pvc out there... find somthing close and use a bench grinder to make it work! For me, it is much better than the one from the factory:ride: .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.