Pop Stall XR650R

7 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted March 28, 2007 - 04:30 PM

Yesterday I came up to a light and stopped, and put it in neutral. Just before I engaged the clutch to put it in gear, I snapped the throttle and in made a light pop and stalled. I was about a mile and a half from home, and I thought it may have not been warmed up. I pulled to the side, sat a minute, then kick started it first try. On I went. Today, after riding for a while (about an hour), I pulled over at a friend's business for about a half hour. As I went to leave, it started first kick, I went about a mile and came up to a light, pulled the clutch in and it did the same pop and died, but I was rolling fast enough to bump it prior to stopping. Any Ideas way it is doing this? Please give me some ideas if you can... Thanks...:bonk:

• Kawabuggy

Posted March 28, 2007 - 04:39 PM

There is a known issue with the clutch basket bushing on the XR650R. At least that is what I gather from reading on this web site. Do a search using "clutch bushing" as the criteria and see what you come up with.

• LesJive

Posted March 28, 2007 - 05:55 PM

No biggie, turn up your idle a tad..

• philipstjohn

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:20 PM

No biggie, turn up your idle a tad..

That is exactly what I did...I thought this might help...lets see how it works tomorrow :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpage

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:23 PM

There is a known issue with the clutch basket bushing on the XR650R. At least that is what I gather from reading on this web site. Do a search using "clutch bushing" as the criteria and see what you come up with.

I agree, your clutch bushing might have started to seize. Most times when they go, they GO and that is that. If by chance that is what is [slowly going], DON'T RIDE THE BIKE UNTIL YOU SORT IT OUT! It is a simple and inexpensive fix if it hasn't seized up yet, but once it does, you most likely will have to split the case to get it removed from the shaft.
It is well known to occur on earlier bikes 2000-2001 and some early 2002s maybe.
This might not be it but at least check it out. Read here for some info. about this: http://www.xr650r.us/clutch/

• Thumpage

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:30 PM

Sorry, I didn't notice your bike is newer. But maybe check it out anyway. There have been a couple reports of newer bikes having this problem also if I am not mistaken. Most likely dual sport bikes rather than dirt only bikes because the bushing is only in use when the clutch is pulled in, such as when sitting at a light.

• wcorbett

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:32 PM

ill have to go get a new one jsut incase. i have a 01 so its probly a good idea

• LesJive

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:43 PM

That is exactly what I did...I thought this might help...lets see how it works tomorrow :bonk:

I've found that when the idle's too low, it'll pop, fart, & die.
When the idle's too high, it'll take it's sweetass time coming back down.
Everytime I changed riding elevations, or riding different temperature ranges, the idle needed to be adjusted.
Big cylinder, sucking alot more fuel/air that smaller bikes-
little more finiky off the bottom...

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.