How High?

13 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted March 28, 2007 - 01:44 PM

Hey guys- how tall does a stand need to be to be able to have the 650R off the ground for front and rear tire removal? Please let me know if you can. Thanks

• HawkGT

Posted March 28, 2007 - 01:51 PM

One of my stands is 15.5" tall. The other is 16.5" tall.

• gchidest

Posted March 28, 2007 - 04:33 PM

I bought a FMF stand that has a foot pedal to lift the bike and it works great.

• philipstjohn

Posted March 28, 2007 - 04:39 PM

One of my stands is 15.5" tall. The other is 16.5" tall.

Does the the 15.5" get the bike off the ground? I have a welder in the family who can make a fixed stand, and I want to make sure it will be high enough.
Thanks for you help...

• HawkGT

Posted March 28, 2007 - 04:56 PM

I just went out and checked to be sure. The one is actually about 15 3/8" and that leaves both tires about 1" off the ground.

ETA: That's with somewhat new knobbies and the stock skidplate in place.

• philipstjohn

Posted March 28, 2007 - 05:06 PM

I just went out and checked to be sure. The one is actually about 15 3/8" and that leaves both tires about 1" off the ground.

ETA: That's with somewhat new knobbies and the stock skidplate in place.

Thanks for the info... do not need to lift a pig off the ground any more then needed! :bonk: :naughty:

• Billahjack

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:51 PM

I made a stand out of wood. It took me 20 minutes with a cordless drill and a chop saw and cost $10 for one nice 2x4, one nice 2x6 and some 3" screws. I didn't even use a tape measure.

Quick tip for lifting the bike - put it in gear and then get behind the back tire. Use 1 hand to grab the wheel placing your fingers between spoke and use your other hand on the fender near the fastening point to keep the bike from tipping over. Just pick up the back and swing the bike over the stand. Its better for your back than reaching over the seat to the subframe and heaving backwards to pick up the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted March 30, 2007 - 06:35 AM

I made a stand out of wood. It took me 20 minutes with a cordless drill and a chop saw and cost $10 for one nice 2x4, one nice 2x6 and some 3" screws. I didn't even use a tape measure.

Quick tip for lifting the bike - put it in gear and then get behind the back tire. Use 1 hand to grab the wheel placing your fingers between spoke and use your other hand on the fender near the fastening point to keep the bike from tipping over. Just pick up the back and swing the bike over the stand. Its better for your back than reaching over the seat to the subframe and heaving backwards to pick up the bike.

Well, I just looked in the garage and found a couple of 2x4"s, and a couple of scrape pieces of what looks like 3/8 " plywood. Think I should go thicker on the plywood for the BRP's weight? What was your "platform area size"? Good and stable at this size? I was thinking of making a 12"x12" or so? Have any pictures? I saw at Precision Concepts shop they use wooden stands as well. Thanks for any ideas. :bonk:

• Billahjack

Posted March 30, 2007 - 01:50 PM

My top looks like its 10x11" for the platform and about 17" from the ground to the top. You can probably go less like 16" tall.

I'm sure someone can do a better job than I did, but like I said, it only took me 20 minutes. By the way, I predrilled the screw holes in the top boards to keep them from cracking.

I would use thicker wood than 3/8" plywood for a platform unless you reinforce it well with the 2x4's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• wheelnut46

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Nice job.

• philipstjohn

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:35 PM

My top looks like its 10x11" for the platform and about 17" from the ground to the top. You can probably go less like 16" tall.

I'm sure someone can do a better job than I did, but like I said, it only took me 20 minutes. By the way, I predrilled the screw holes in the top boards to keep them from cracking.

I would use thicker wood than 3/8" plywood for a platform unless you reinforce it well with the 2x4's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I should have one built this weekend! Thanks for the hot tip... BTY, this looks more stable then what they use at the Precision Shop!:naughty: :bonk:

• philipstjohn

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:47 AM

Here is my new stand made with scrape wood laying around... click on thumbnail for a closer look... it is very stable

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Billahjack

Posted April 04, 2007 - 07:57 PM

Nice Job! The plywood on the legs like it adds a bunch of strength to resist twisting.

• philipstjohn

Posted April 05, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Nice Job! The plywood on the legs like it adds a bunch of strength to resist twisting.

I thought the same thing, then I glued and screwed it together and it seems to support the BRP pretty well. It is not tipsy at all, and the price was right! Thanks for the idea...:naughty: :bonk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.