Whats the best air filter??

27 replies to this topic
  • DrThumper

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:45 PM

Therein lies the problem. The K&N's are much more difficult to oil thoroughly (by that I mean all of the media oiled through from one side to the other, no dry spots even in the middle of 4 layers)

Yep! After a good soaking on the outside (like 2 coats with a slow hand) I lightly oil the inside just to help capillary action and get the middle layers oiled. This also helps the nooks and crannies, the hard to get inner folds on the outside are the easy to get too fold on the inside....get it?

Anyways, I know oiling a K&N is more detailed oreinted than a No-Toil, and also more expensive (iniital cost and maintenance) but I feel its worth it due to the great gains I get in the low to middle range. And since everything I own (even my weed eater) uses a K&N the cost of the oil is spread out over the whole fleet.

Now if they would only make a K&N for my wife's TTR125 I would be a very happy camper!

• flintlock28

Posted March 29, 2007 - 05:28 PM

Quick ?.. i ended up buying the no toil fast filter.(shop ran out of moose) Should i use rim greese with this?

To the best of my knowledge, only the MOOSE filter's don't require the rim grease being applied.

I know there's also a company that offers some type of Neoprene lip you can use to avoid applying the rim grease.....can't remeber the name.

• King_Air

Posted March 29, 2007 - 05:29 PM

It sounds like you have the servicing down to a science lol. Good for you. It works well for you and more power to you. I was just saying that for the masses the detailed oiling procedure is too much. You sound like a person who pays a lot of attention to detail.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 29, 2007 - 05:32 PM

thanks flint. i was just seeing if that extra 18 bucks is justified at this point, but in reality its just like buying a uni or white bros at the 27 bucks a pop but with a warrenty.. thanks agian..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted March 29, 2007 - 05:43 PM

One thing I do recommend, is to have at least Two air filter's. It makes it nice to have one lying around, that's already to go, when you're riding a long weekend or so. Just yank out the old/dirty one, and throw in the fresh one. I always let my just oiled filter sit overnight before using it...if you don't, the non-dried oil can play havoc with the sensor.

Any of the following will serve you well:

1) Moose
2) Twin-Air
3) UNI
4) White Brother's

I just prefer the MOOSE, so you no longer gotta mess with sealing grease, plus it seems a little more sturdily built.

• dwnlowx

Posted March 29, 2007 - 10:02 PM

the k$n filter works great and is very easy to clean works great for me

ready filters are the fastest and easiest i use those alot

uni is a great filter i like the 2 indivdual pieces

twin and 123 filters are cool but i do not like em but they do the job

all ways have extras

• mxgene

Posted April 01, 2007 - 09:39 AM

To the best of my knowledge, only the MOOSE filter's don't require the rim grease being applied.

I know there's also a company that offers some type of Neoprene lip you can use to avoid applying the rim grease.....can't remeber the name.

http://www.pcracingusa.com/proseal.php

I believe this is what your referring to...

BTW- I've used ready racing, uni, and twin air, and for me I prefer the twin air.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2007 - 10:10 AM

If your filter oil is tacky enough, you don't need grease on a YZF. I use Maxima FFT on the flange, and it never leaks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.