Whats the best air filter??

27 replies to this topic
  • Slinkyman16

Posted March 28, 2007 - 01:29 PM

Well guys i ripped my air filter the other day on the inside rim of the overlap.. now i need to replace it.. wondering what everyone is running.. thanks.
josh

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2007 - 01:33 PM

Twin Air, White Bros., Uni. Don't waste your money on the Power Flo kit or a screenless cage.

• 642MX

Posted March 28, 2007 - 01:53 PM

I used to use nothing but UNI's, but I just bought 2 No Toils. They seem to be good filters aswell.

Grays right about the Power Flow's, they don't help at all, being that the foam is more restrictive than a backfire screen.

Stay away from K&N's also.

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2007 - 02:35 PM

Stay away from K&N's also.

Amen to that! :bonk:

• Wiz636

Posted March 28, 2007 - 03:09 PM

I just tried one of those $10.95 No Toil 'throwaway' pre-oiled filters and I was actually impressed with the filter. I had it laying around still sealed up in the package as a spare or to take along on a dusty, multi-day ride. They are guaranteed six months.

The quality of material and construction is great and after washing it in the washing machine all the seams are still in perfect shape. I'm going to run it until I start to see some degradation from cleaning.

• Gerry B

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:31 PM

Another vote for the no toil filter.

• yamaha6j

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:40 PM

I'm really happy with the twin air fileter. It seems to last a long time even when I wring it's neck off.

• flintlock28

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:42 PM

I've used:

1) stock filter
2) UNI filter
3) Twin-Air
4) Moose filter

I like the Moose the best. It does not require a sealing grease on the filter's lip, it seems to be holding up to cleaning's better than the rest, and it's made by either Twin-Air, or UNI (I can't remember)

I'd definately get another Moose if I need another one........

• Captaincautious7

Posted March 29, 2007 - 02:45 AM

The UNI-FILTER I recently purchased came with two 'foam' filter skins which make a huge difference in extending filter life. You might check into that. I paid roughly the same for it as I have for a TWINAIR. You can utilize the foam skins on other filters as well.

• sheeks

Posted March 29, 2007 - 03:04 AM

how do u guys clean your air filter boot,
mine has a few bits of dirt and mud stuck in there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slinkyman16

Posted March 29, 2007 - 12:04 PM

Quick ?.. i ended up buying the no toil fast filter.(shop ran out of moose) Should i use rim greese with this?

• 642MX

Posted March 29, 2007 - 12:44 PM

^^^^ When in doubt, grease it.

• DrThumper

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:08 PM

Whats wrong with K&N's?
I've used stock, uni, twin-air, no-toil and finally K&N. I found Uni, twin-air and no-toil to be better than stock, but no real difference between them (although no-toil was easier to clean, as is Uni & twin w/ no-toil oil & cleanser). But, the K&N gave me a better lower end torque without sacrificing the upper end. Albeit I don't race track, only woods and desert, my top-end stayed the same and it added to the mid to low end, mostly low.

• King_Air

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:13 PM

Whats wrong with K&N's?
I've used stock, uni, twin-air, no-toil and finally K&N. I found Uni, twin-air and no-toil to be better than stock, but no real difference between them (although no-toil was easier to clean, as is Uni & twin w/ no-toil oil & cleanser). But, the K&N gave me a better lower end torque without sacrificing the upper end. Albeit I don't race track, only woods and desert, my top-end stayed the same and it added to the mid to low end, mostly low.

The K&N has good filtering when properly serviced (oiled). The problem comes in the difficultly of proper servicing.

• DrThumper

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:14 PM

Boot? you mean the tunnel from the filter to the carb? I've never had dirt in there. Never seen any dirt or mud past the filter....and up here in northern Utah I've been in some pretty deep muddy conditions. Keep the filter tight (and the rim greased) it won't get in there. BTW, the K&N seems to be a tighter fit in that department. Instead of 'collapsing' the filter support like in the other type filters when you tighten them too much (atleast the model I have w/ the steel lid, I don't know about the later models w/ the filter lid, maybe they aren't as rigid and you can't get them as tight).

• 642MX

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:17 PM

Whats wrong with K&N's?

Take a flashlight and look into the air intake next time you remove your filter.

• DrThumper

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:18 PM

The K&N has good filtering when properly serviced (oiled). The problem comes in the difficultly of proper servicing.

OK, understandable.
But anyone who rides a Thumper should be well disciplined in maintenance and servicing. I do agree that No-Toil is by far the easiest to clean (I've done it in the master bathroom and the wife didn't even know) but the K&N cleaning system is very good although a bit messier and harder to clean-up.

• DrThumper

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:24 PM

Take a flashlight and look into the air intake next time you remove your filter.

I do it every time. As a matter of fact I just did a top-end on my bike and there was remarkably no excessive wear on anything. And like I said moments ago, mud, dirt, etc, doesn't get past my filter. Its pretty damn clean in there. Keep in mind my 426 takes the model with the steel lid and it fits much tighter than the filter-lid models. Oh, yeah, I use a filter-skin too. Keeps the filter cleaner longer.

I use K&N's in my truck, my RV, my wife's Subaru...same thing, works great and clean. If, of course, you don't oil them well...or clean them way too often I can see small particulates, especially fine dust get through. But the point K&N makes in their instructions is that a pile-up of dirt on the filter actually helps keep out the small stuff w/o hindering the mass air flow.

If you have dirt (fine dirt) passing thru your K&N, you are not oiling it well enough. It should be red when your done.

• almostinvincible119

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:35 PM

dude...those ready filters are trash compared to the Notoil filters. Plus for 11 bucks on the no toil you get a 6 month warranty!

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:37 PM

If you have dirt (fine dirt) passing thru your K&N, you are not oiling it well enough. It should be red when your done.

Therein lies the problem. The K&N's are much more difficult to oil thoroughly (by that I mean all of the media oiled through from one side to the other, no dry spots even in the middle of 4 layers) simply because they can't be squeezed to work it through. Because of this, they are frequently not properly lubed, and then don't filter as well as they should.

IF they are serviced right, they are actually a very good filter.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.