Dented header fix

42 replies to this topic
  • 2001YZF426Rider

Posted March 31, 2007 - 11:12 AM

I have almost a crease in my header on the inside of the bend, do you think the frozen water trick would take it out?

• BergArabia

Posted March 31, 2007 - 11:19 AM

I think the crease thing might be a little like the small pinpoint dings described in the last post. If it is really small and narrow, the force of the freezing water will not be enough.

But there is only one way to find out..

• rideawn

Posted March 31, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Update: My dent was about 3" x 1.5" oblong and pretty much uniformly concave (no creases) with a depth of about 0.5". After the second freeze, the dent is 95% gone! :bonk: Third freeze underway. I'm already happy, so anything from here on out is gravy on top.

• Dr250_rider

Posted March 31, 2007 - 06:42 PM

do u think it would happen to work on a two stroke pipe? after u do it on your yz250 please tell me how it works i would like to give it a shot. thats pretty amazing wat a little freezing could do. lol

• crawdad

Posted July 19, 2007 - 04:26 PM

Do you think this will work on an alloy or alum vintage yz opr even a 73 elsinore??? I have one I may experment on in the shop.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted July 19, 2007 - 10:34 PM

ahah dont fill her up 2 much she might split :eek:

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2007 - 07:58 AM

do u think it would happen to work on a two stroke pipe? after u do it on your yz250 please tell me how it works i would like to give it a shot. thats pretty amazing wat a little freezing could do. lol

Do you think this will work on an alloy or alum vintage yz opr even a 73 elsinore??? I have one I may experment on in the shop.

Yes to both

• rhys_main

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:16 PM

Hey guys, is it safe to use this method on a titanium header? Would it have the same results?

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:49 PM

Yes, it's safe, with one caveat: Titanium becomes somewhat more brittle at low temperatures than many other metals do. It's probably not in too much jeopardy in a freezer at zero degrees, but by the same token, don't be too hard on it while it's still cold.

• mikeb44

Posted March 12, 2009 - 04:19 PM

hey does tht work on 2 stroke head pipes to
and how high do you fill the water
thank you

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ivesy

Posted March 12, 2009 - 07:16 PM

Yeah it'll work, but maybe dont fill it and bung it like I did on my 125. I ended up with a 2" split on one side - it is S/S though.

• travisn

Posted March 12, 2009 - 09:01 PM

thank you

I would fill it just above the dent. you can always try it again with more water, if you go too much and tear it you might have problems.

• corsicacoatings

Posted March 12, 2009 - 09:03 PM

thank you

I have only done this on 2 stroke pipes, I filled my PC pipe on my old KX all the way up and it worked fairly well, didnt get it all the way out though

• MEBANE NIGHT

Posted March 19, 2009 - 04:36 PM

pipe 3 times at 4 hour intervals it works good now I can ride harder and dent it again hahaha.

• travisn

Posted March 19, 2009 - 06:42 PM

pipe 3 times at 4 hour intervals it works good now I can ride harder and dent it again hahaha.

Im sure after a few attempts it will weaken and tear because it probably gets dented in the same spot.

But on a side note I went riding this weekend and stopped in tim hortons, some guy came up and started talking to me because he noticed my bike on the trailer, well I ended telling him about the freezer trick and hes like "I have been riding for 15 years and never heard of that"

yep, I felt smart!

• yzhaulin

Posted March 19, 2009 - 06:59 PM

I did that on my 01 426. My dent looked exatly like the pics, It took 3 trys to get it out. I tried it a 4th time but didnt get it perfect. The end result looked just like the one shown. You can see and feel a slight ripple to the pipe but still way better than the dent that was in it. Well worth a try on any pipe.

• andyrm8

Posted March 23, 2009 - 02:52 PM

will this work on a 2 stroke pipe as well?

• rdrata

Posted March 23, 2009 - 08:04 PM

How much does the dent effect performance? I have heard varying comments on this. I just noticed my FMF Ti head pipe has the same type of dent; it is approx 1/4" deep by 1" x 1". It is certainly worth the try, but just curious what and how much does the dent effect performance?

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:21 AM

will this work on a 2 stroke pipe as well?

yes you can

• cheeseclip

Posted March 24, 2009 - 01:58 PM

if the dent isnt that big will it even affect performance by taking the dent out?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.