Spoke problem

9 replies to this topic
  • pianoexcellence

Posted March 27, 2007 - 09:18 PM

I was out riding, and when I loaded the bike (04 650l) in the truck, I noticed some play in what i thought was the swingarm.

it turns out that some spokes were loose!!!!!

I tried to tighten them, but a few of them would not move freely (they wanted to pull the spoke around with them)

If anyone can give me some pointers on how to fix this problem and keep it from happening again, I would be grateful:cheers:

• cleonard

Posted March 27, 2007 - 10:29 PM

Spokes stretch and loosen over time. It is much worse when they are new. I check mine a couple of times per year. Whatever you do do not over tighten them. It is very easy to do and causes broken spokes. They need to be just a little tighter than zero slack. Use some good penetrating oil, not WD40, on the stuck ones and let it sit for a couple of days. Let the air out of the tire and they should turn. If they don't you can use a visegrip on the spoke to hold it so you can apply more torque.

• witdogg

Posted March 27, 2007 - 10:34 PM

You may have to cut them and buy some new ones. All depends on how bad they are. Use anti-seize on the threads. It is messy to use but it works great.

• Thumpmeister

Posted March 27, 2007 - 11:29 PM

Spray some PB Blaster in the threads, preferably from the back side with the tire/tube off. Let it soak for a few mins, and then get a pair of vice grips and clamp them as hard as you can on the spoke. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to cut it and get new ones. I've had to do that on about 4 of mine already...

• pianoexcellence

Posted March 28, 2007 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for the help...

So a couple of questions come to mind with the replies given:

How do I keep this from happening again?

Can i buy a couple of spokes, or do I have to buy the whole set?

Will high quality chain lube work to free the stubborn ones?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for the help...

So a couple of questions come to mind with the replies given:

How do I keep this from happening again?

Can i buy a couple of spokes, or do I have to buy the whole set?

Will high quality chain lube work to free the stubborn ones?

Keep what from happening? Spokes get loose there is nothing you can do but tighten them. To stop them from getting corroded use some anti sieze or grease the threads.

You can just buy a few spokes. That is what I did when I had a few break. On mine there were two different types. Honda called them A and B. I had no idea which I needed so I got a few of each. If you need to replace a bunch of them, then you can get entire sets for less than the Honda cost.

Use penetrating oil. Cahin lube is way too thick. Go to an autoparts store and ask for penetrating oil. It works better than even WD40.

• JackAttack

Posted March 28, 2007 - 10:59 AM

Spray some PB Blaster in the threads, preferably from the back side with the tire/tube off. ...

:bonk:

• Billahjack

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:07 PM

PB Blaster is the best penetrating oil I have come across. For stubborn jobs, spray it on and let it sit overnight.

On my XR650R, my rear spokes were so stretched that the threads were bottoming out and they would not tighten anymore. I bought a new set of buchanon spokes and relaced my wheel. Its worth the $65 to have a shop relace and true your rim unless you really want to tackle it.

Side note - the buchanon spokes have larger nipples and you may need to drill the rim up one size for the the holes to get the nipples through. I used a cordless drill and had a buddy hold the rim.

• JackAttack

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:22 AM

Side note - the buchanon spokes have larger nipples and you may need to drill the rim up one size for the the holes to get the nipples through. I used a cordless drill and had a buddy hold the rim.

Side note - I have broken two hubs after lacing with Buchanon spokes. :bonk:

• Billahjack

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:13 PM

Side note - I have broken two hubs after lacing with Buchanon spokes. :bonk:

Ouch! Did you lace them or a shop? I laced my rear with a buddy and it took us about 3 hours and 10 beers starting with dismounting the wheel and tire to installing the new tire and wheel back on the bike. That was my first tire change and rim lace job.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.