07 wr450f suspension

12 replies to this topic
  • lue

Posted March 27, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hey there, I'm new to this. I need help with the suspension, I think it is too soft. Any mods I can do to it, or do I need to replace shocks and forks. I'm 235 lb

Thanks, Lue

• TyeeHusky

Posted March 28, 2007 - 05:29 AM

Have you worked with the shock adjusters? Start there first and if that does not do the trick you will probably need stiffer springs.

Adjust shock forks first with the adjuster screws. follow the manual and know what you are doing.

Front forks can have oil added to make stiffer.

Rear shock can have spring tightened to make stiffer / set sag.

If that fails it is new springs time

• SXP

Posted March 28, 2007 - 09:25 AM

Hey there, I'm new to this. I need help with the suspension, I think it is too soft. Any mods I can do to it, or do I need to replace shocks and forks. I'm 235 lb

Thanks, Lue

I'm 230 lbs and changed springs to Yamaha's 0.47 kg/mm in front and a RaceTech 6.0 kg/mm in the back. The recommended springs for my weight per most tuners websites are 0.48/5.6. I choose the lighter 0.47s in front as I really did not have a bottoming issue with the stock spring and didn't want to get pounded with a heavier spring, and the heavier 6.0 in the back as I couldn't set up my sag correctly with the 5.6 spring.

• Murray Dorward

Posted March 28, 2007 - 10:10 AM

Racetech's website recommends that you install a 0.49kg/mm up front (use a 0.50kg/mm) and a 5.8kg/mm spring in the back. Dont start playing with the settings untill you have installed the new springs and set up the rider sag. I weight in at 115kg (253lbs) and the standard springs are way to soft. I installed racetech springs and the bike handels like a dream.

Dont touch the oil levels, this is for fine tuning and should only be looked at after the springs have been set up. I dont agree with putting a .47kg/mm fork spring in as this will be far to soft and you will have to start messing around with oil levels and rebound settings etc.

Good luck

Muz
:bonk: :D :naughty:

• SXP

Posted March 28, 2007 - 12:19 PM

Racetech's website recommends that you install a 0.49kg/mm up front (use a 0.50kg/mm) and a 5.8kg/mm spring in the back. Dont start playing with the settings untill you have installed the new springs and set up the rider sag. I weight in at 115kg (253lbs) and the standard springs are way to soft. I installed racetech springs and the bike handels like a dream.

Dont touch the oil levels, this is for fine tuning and should only be looked at after the springs have been set up. I dont agree with putting a .47kg/mm fork spring in as this will be far to soft and you will have to start messing around with oil levels and rebound settings etc.

Good luck

Muz
:naughty: :bonk: :D

Loving my 0.47s - never bottomed them out. But then again I don't weigh 253 lbs :bonk:

• lue

Posted March 28, 2007 - 05:49 PM

thank you guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Murray Dorward

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:30 AM

I use .52kg/mm fork springs and a 6.0kg/mm shock spring for my fat arse and they work 100%

Cheers

Muz
:bonk: :D :naughty:

• drz42

Posted March 29, 2007 - 02:00 PM

Theres alot of things you can try, get with a good suspension shop and tell them your weight riding style the whole nine yards and they will steer you in the right direction. http://www.precision...eptsracing.com/ -thats who i used and was very happy, they wont try to sell you anything you dont need, i still have my stock springs and now the bike rips. the differance is unbelievable

• SurvivorMan

Posted June 21, 2007 - 09:40 AM

i have my new springs for my weight, 47's for the fork and 5.8 for the shock, i weigh 230 lbs. this actually makes the bike feel lighter and once the sag is set, the handling and cornering is much better (i am having a hard time getting the sag set properly, i guess i will have to continue cranking the shock spring down) i try to get 4" (105 mm) and i can't get under 4 1/4".
anyways, has anyone tryed revalving? with who and how does it work? and this would pertain to what type of riding/racing you do.
my stock suspension with properly sized springs works great once i pick up the pace. slower trail riding makes the forks feel too harsh on the small square edge stuff and the small sharp braking bumps really transmit to the hands.

• wizbangdoodle

Posted June 21, 2007 - 10:39 AM

I am 225 bare nekkid so probably 235-240 geared up. I had Devol Engineering rebuild my forks and shock and couldn't be happier. They said a revalve was probably not needed but they did go up in spring size. My Step-son is 300 and they resprung and revalved his, big difference. I cannot recommend getting to a suspension shop any stronger, you will not regret it. Problem is these bikes are built for light weight twig boys. :thumbsup:

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 21, 2007 - 12:22 PM

I'm 220 & have a 07 Wr that I tried replacing the springs to my weight and the thing rode worse then bottoming it out. I took my suspension to Aftershock's to get re-valved and the bike couldn't feel any better.:thumbsup:

• SurvivorMan

Posted June 21, 2007 - 01:36 PM

I am going to Enzo after this weekend for service and revalve.

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 21, 2007 - 02:04 PM

My 2000 Yz 250 was re-valved by Enzo...:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.