she's alive!!

16 replies to this topic
  • tammie

Posted March 27, 2007 - 05:39 PM

well after spending the winter taking my entire 99 yz400 to pieces literally in about 100 marked baggies. I finally got it back together and started her up tonight only after a few kicks and adjusting the idle she sounds like she is running great. Couldn't ride it around though as I don't have the new chain on yet....Im gonna put that on tommorow morning and then I can ride up and down the street. It was 20 C(70F) here the past couple days!! sorry Im excited cuz im Canadian and winters can be long here thats why I take my bike apart :naughty:

I can't wait to ride it ...this is what i did this winter

new piston, rings
new cam chain
Hotcam auto decomp exhaust cam(starting it tonight was soooo easy!!)
boyenseed quickshot
power now(got cheap used one)
new fork seals and oil
new chain, sprockets
new tank, shroud, swingarm, side panel graphics
new gripper seat
new michelin S12 front and rear tire(my knuckles are still sore)
new brake fluid front and back
new rear shock bearings
cleaned every inch of the bike
regreased every bearing on the bike including steering head

I just wanted to thank all the guys who gave me advice and answered questions for me I did this all 100% myself (the bike never saw a shop only my shed and laundry room) so for anyone nervous about ripping into the bike just do it, with the manual and thumpertalk you always have answers :bonk:

• 642MX

Posted March 27, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Glad you got it back together. Its a good feeling to do something yourself and save a few bucks doing it. :bonk:

• Smokeslider

Posted March 27, 2007 - 06:39 PM

Show us some pics!!

• jayh300

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:42 AM

sweet !!!! can't wait to hear how the auto cam does.
post results for us guys still finding tdc and pulling that lever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jay

• Yamahafan

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:48 AM

Did you have any leftover parts? :bonk:

I am very familiar with the marked baggy system - I was working three different bikes in my garage at the same time this winter. Fortunately it is hard to confuse KX65 parts with any of my bike parts.

• tammie

Posted March 28, 2007 - 10:28 AM

actually no i didn't have any extra parts!!! :bonk: I am very anal about organizations and marking the baggies :naughty:

• tammie

Posted March 29, 2007 - 03:09 PM

here are some pics I took today
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The only thing left to put back on is my bark busters and enduro skid plate....

• Florida_426

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:01 PM

tammie,
That is one outstanding job of yearly maintenance and update I have followed. If I remember correctly you do this each winter, as do I. I just need to do the cam chain and get released by the surgeon and it is MX time for this old guy. Nicely done.

Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PatrickM

Posted March 29, 2007 - 11:27 PM

Thats a beautiful Bike

I got a 99 YZ400F.... Where did you find those graphics!!!!!!!!

Patrick M.

• tammie

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:29 AM

thanx i got the graphics on ebay, from I think the guys ebay name is "lucky devil"...they are made by Enjoy they are cheap too it was like 39.99 for tank, shrouds and 14.99 for front fender/rear fender/swing arm they are really good graphics too, the fender graphics have been on for 2-3 years.......the tank and shrouds i replaced as a got new shrouds and the tank was fine but yellowing so i just replaced it as well since it came iwth the shrouds graphics...however the graphics were still good, no bubbling....

i just found the link to these graphics here you go http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting

I just have to put my number on the bike and its complete...

• tammie

Posted March 30, 2007 - 04:34 AM

florida_426 i have owned the bike since july 2003 and ive taking it fully apart 3 times now....I enjoy doing it and it makes me feel more confident that I know everything has been serviced. The first time I had help from a friend the last two times Ive done all the work myself. Also, I like knowing the bike inside and out so if I have any problems I might be able to fix it on the trail.

• jayh300

Posted March 30, 2007 - 05:54 AM

very nice !!!

• Florida_426

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:26 AM

It should last you a long time and enjoyable to ride with that maintenance routine. I love my 02 426, just finishing up the maintenance for last year now. Enjoy that ride, you certainly earned the place.

Bill

• JRAMBO

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:36 AM

My son has a PW 80 with the exact same graphics they are very nice.

• torqueme

Posted March 30, 2007 - 08:43 AM

Excellent job on the entire bike-looks great!! You're gonna love the auto decomp cam...aloha.

• tammie

Posted March 30, 2007 - 02:10 PM

Im really happy with the way it turned out except the damn gripper seat....I had it all nice and smooth until i put it on, it kinda squishes the seat and puts those few ripples in cover, i think i'll try to pull it on tighter and re staple some areas.....

• yz_for_me

Posted March 30, 2007 - 07:01 PM

Lookin good tammie. Great work. Now you're making me feel bad for not giving my bike any love this winter. I've been remodeling my basement, so no time for the bike. :bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.