so much for the break-in period.../ speed

14 replies to this topic
  • redswr

Posted March 27, 2007 - 11:56 AM

well i took my 07 out for the first time sunday and took a normal riding route through some orange groves. i was trying to take it easy for the break in but we ended up getting chased off by a truck that came after us. i took off and had it full throttle when my buddies starting passing me. my 99 WR would get up and leave all my friends behind. is it just because it hasn't been broken in yet or does it normally top out at around 60 before the free mods?

• jams229

Posted March 27, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Throttle Stop?

• markseaba

Posted March 27, 2007 - 12:19 PM

have you done any of the free mods?? gray wire, throttle stop as above suggested, snorkel, etc..

• redswr

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:04 PM

no i havn't done the free mods to it yet. i'm getting the AIS remover tonight. since the throttle stop only allows 3/4 throttle is it alright to run it wide open during the break in and then put the shorter screw in?

• TheCure

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:16 PM

no i havn't done the free mods to it yet. i'm getting the AIS remover tonight. since the throttle stop only allows 3/4 throttle is it alright to run it wide open during the break in and then put the shorter screw in?

You do the free mods and you will make your eyes bleed with how fast you can go.:bonk:

So, how many oranges did you steal?:naughty:

• redswr

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:21 PM

So, how many oranges did you steal?:bonk:

didn't steal any i already have too many! my buddy accidently knocked a few out of a tree when he jumped straight into it though!!!

• yz-dwg

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:42 PM

my '06 450 would top out at 60mph before the mods, after mods I backed off the gas at 80, it felt like I just just getting into the top end power and it was going to get airborn! had alot left to give and I got scared, crap loads of power..........(I know, I'm a weanus)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redswr

Posted March 28, 2007 - 09:10 AM

i've deffinatly got to do some mods. i got my AIS remover and fuel screw to do tonight after i pick them up. not sure i want to cut wires though...

• TheCure

Posted March 28, 2007 - 09:12 AM

i've deffinatly got to do some mods. i got my AIS remover and fuel screw to do tonight after i pick them up. not sure i want to cut wires though...

re CUTTING grey wire.

don't cut anything. Sensibly disable it. I'll link you.

http://www.thumperta...light=Gray wire

page 4 or 5.

• drtbk4ever

Posted March 28, 2007 - 09:17 AM

Full throttle with the throttle stop in shouldn't cause you any grief.

However, the most important change you can make to your bike: CHANGE THE THROTTLE STOP to a yz stop. If you don't do this you may as well have bought a TTr 125.

Then move on to the grey wire if you desire more. And DON't cut it, just remove it and block it off. Do a search on it. (I see someone beat me to it, with a link too).

Then do the other mods as you see fit :airbox, exhaust, clean underwear, etc etc.

• Murray Dorward

Posted March 28, 2007 - 10:16 AM

Do the mods to your frikken WR450 '07 as the bike rides like a pizza delivery bike with out the mods. I get 92mph (147km) out of mine after a 600 miles run in, at an alttitude of 4350 feet. I suspect the bike would be faster at sea level but thats way fast enough.

Cheers

Muz
:bonk: :D :naughty:

• steve lemley

Posted March 28, 2007 - 05:37 PM

do the mods, I came off my built 99 to an 07 and before the mods, i thought a made a huge mistake. Then I RIPPED HER APART, put a pipe on it, boydsen quick shot, ais removal and rejetted with a throttle stop from a yz and then i knew I had diffenently made a good choice. The 07 is an *&*%^%$#@ing rocket. Had it to over 85mph after break in. It feels like a 100 horse power mountain bike to me compared to the 99.

• rtrolli69

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Throttle stop...im surprised it ran 60mph with that thing on there.good thing nobody was riding a moped!!!free mods and jetting,it will wake it up and then run even better as it gets some miles on it..

• MojaveThumper

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:08 AM

my '06 450 would top out at 60mph before the mods, after mods I backed off the gas at 80, it felt like I just just getting into the top end power and it was going to get airborn! had alot left to give and I got scared, crap loads of power..........(I know, I'm a weanus)

YOu had another 20 Mph to go before topping out on the WR. Mod'ed out she will scream. Actually just with the throttle stop out you will get more out of her.

Becareful after you do the mods. Not sure about the physics of the problem but the front end becomes extremely light after modding.:bonk:

• kanemilo

Posted March 29, 2007 - 10:26 AM

Don't do the mods or you will end up like me. After the mods I spend thirty minutes after every ride picking the bugs from my teeth from smiling so much. Really do the mods these bikes rip.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.