how to lighten up 426?

13 replies to this topic
  • probikerguy2

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:10 PM

what are some good mods for the 426 to lighten up the handling and manuverability? i hear lowered radiators and the dr.d wet sump kit are the way to go but i dont want to sacrifice reliabilty with the wet sump kit. any suggestions would be appreciated especially if the mods are cheap or a modification that can be done with no cost.

• 642MX

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:24 PM

Getting your suspension revalved will help some of the heavy feeling in the corners and on the jumps.

• probikerguy2

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:33 PM

yeah that has been another thing on my list ...im leaning towards pro-action, thanx.

• 642MX

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:45 PM

...im leaning towards pro-action, thanx.

Pro Action probably does good work, but I went with http://www.smartsuspension.com

• probikerguy2

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:51 PM

thanx ill check it out

• probikerguy2

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:57 PM

so from what im reading from that smart suspension place they use the existing valves with their own technology?....interesting. how is it working for you? im kinda stuck because i need suspension that can handle off-road but also hit the occasional mx track. i was thinking of getting the suspension done for mx style riding but adding some subtanks so its somewhat forgiving.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted March 26, 2007 - 06:06 PM

Took mine to Pro-Action in Illinois. One of the best Mods I have done next to the 450 Cam mod for my 426. Didn't lighten the bike but improved the handling, turning and some of the Top-heavy feeling. I didn't have the $'s for a complete re-valve but went with heavier springs and had it tuned for both MX and woods. Works well on both and is extremely stable when the going gets rough & fast.

The easiest way I found to lighten the bike weight wise was for me to drop some weight.... It made a big difference for me on endurance:thumbsup:

- RCD

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted March 26, 2007 - 06:11 PM

so from what im reading from that smart suspension place they use the existing valves with their own technology?....interesting. how is it working for you? im kinda stuck because i need suspension that can handle off-road but also hit the occasional mx track. i was thinking of getting the suspension done for mx style riding but adding some subtanks so its somewhat forgiving.

Yeah they do 100% custom work. Frank set mine up for a 50/50 mix of woods and MX. When I got the suspension back, the instructions said to go up 4 clicks from his setting for MX and to keep it the way it is for woods. He revalved the front and rear and had it back to me within a weeks time.

I'm 100% satisfied with Franks work! :bonk:

• probikerguy2

Posted March 26, 2007 - 06:20 PM

thanx for the info...i guess ill debate between those 2 suspension places....oh and by the way how much did that smart suspension cost all in all?

• 642MX

Posted March 26, 2007 - 06:45 PM

I honestly forgot how much I spent, but the price was comparable to Pro Action and all the rest of the suspension hop-up shops. Give Frank a call, he'll give you an exact price. I had some parts that where worn out in the rear shock and I had him do a few other things that cost more than the average revalve.

• probikerguy2

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:01 PM

thanx a lot, i might just give him a call and see how much

• yz_for_me

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Check out this thread.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=134599

• Ga426owner

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:39 PM

There is not a good fix for what you are asking.......the 426s are big and heavy anyway. Most of us older heavier riders.....found a diet for ourselves was the best remedy....otherwise you are faced with spending tons of money on titanium and other ideas that will never let it feel like a 06/07 ....:bonk:

• probikerguy2

Posted March 27, 2007 - 05:12 PM

yah of course, a 426 will always be a 426. just looking for advice for some simple things that the average person can do to improve handling.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.