Steering stabilizers

11 replies to this topic
  • TRIPLE NICKEL

Posted March 26, 2007 - 02:40 PM

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I'm looking for some more input/opinions from people that may have just started using them. What do you guys think, worth the money? I ride 90% mx, 10% trail. Thanks guys:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2007 - 03:37 PM

Depends a lot on the bike. My '06 really doesn't show any signs of needing one. It's very stable at speed over the roughest ground. My '03 is another matter. It has a pronounced tendency to have the front end slapped off to the side when it hits a sharp bump at any kind of angle at speed. Gets ugly sometimes. I'm thinking I'll get one for it.

• Mike McCutcheon

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:19 PM

I've got one on my 07 yz450. It helps with deflection of the front wheel if I hit a rut crooked on the way up a jump face or on fast straights with rough chop. I set it light and don't notice that it's on, but I had it off for two rides and really noticed it's absence. The younger fast guys don't like it cause it hampers their scrubbing techinque over jumps and aren't bothered by the front end dancing around some.

• 642MX

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:47 PM

I guess it depends on the bike/rider. My 426 is extremely stable compared to the KTM's that I used to ride. I don't think a dampener would benefit me.

• rideawn

Posted March 27, 2007 - 07:56 AM

I've got one on my '07. I put it on mostly to CMA (CYA) in the desert and sand. On a recent sand trip I was frequently coming down dunes, across bowls, up the other side, and then arcing back down again in 4th and 5th gear. It's sometimes difficult to see where the bad ripples will be, or others' ruts. There were many occasions where the front took a deflecting hit at high speed and I felt the bars move but remained stable. They felt like they would have moved much more without the stabilizer. Would this have resulted in a slapper, maybe, maybe not. Also, on pure flats, there is less bar 'float' movement, which means less arm pump and more confidence for me. On my last woods single track trip, a riding buddy mentioned how much he was having to pull his RMZ front back on line due to rock and root deflection. I feel that my work was considerably less with the stabilizer. I've only done a little MX style with the bike so far so unable to offer insight there. hyperformanceparts.com is having a sale right now. Before there sale, TT store was the best and the route I went (110% price guarantee).

• LIL ROG

Posted March 27, 2007 - 08:23 AM

if your only riding offroad 10% of the time i would say that you dont really need one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2007 - 09:01 AM

If anyone has a used Scotts they want to sell, send a PM, please. :bonk:

• Ga426owner

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:20 PM

If anyone has a used Scotts they want to sell, send a PM, please. :bonk:

funny...I have one (had it since 1999) and I can not make myself sell it....keep holding it for that woods bike again....:naughty:

• dawg2227

Posted March 29, 2007 - 06:43 AM

hey buddy, hands down, get one. the first bike i bought, i did all the normal stuff, i did a pipe, new graphics, colored rims, cool looking stuff all over, then did a stabilizer last. well, now a days, dude, i do 2 things and 2 things only. i slap on a stabilizer and re do my suspension to handle my weight. that's it. today's bikes are totally awesome, no need for anything else. it is the rider more than the machine. as for brands, well, i use gpr, but many friends have scotts. ur call from there good luck

• DrThumper

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:49 PM

I use a GPR on my '00 426. It needed it, especially in deep sandy washes (unless your riding WFO all the time). I think of it more like insurance.

• dwnlowx

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:25 PM

id get a scoots if i did it again

• TRIPLE NICKEL

Posted March 30, 2007 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for all the input guys:thumbsup: . I'm going to get one (scotts):bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.